Animal abuse?!?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by maidenwolfx80, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Lol yes great idea but I would have to find a place for them to go,,, hhhmmm may not be all that tricky...[​IMG] It's such an awful situation. Lives are all possessions and a way to say oh yea I have.........! It truely is sickening to have to witness. The woman is so loud just always that when my turkeys hear her they start gobbling ang turning red and puffing up, The chickens all run and hide except the head roo he stands tall with the turkey sounding the alarm for everyone to hide, I will do something , this will not go unnoticed.

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Don't steal the birds. Follow the law. Find out what laws are in place near you, and do that. Dog comes on your property, shoot it or catch it and call the dog warden. Find out which agency is in charge of animal cruelty around you and work through them. Not sure if you have police or a sheriff where you live, but calling them on the NON EMERGENCY number is the place to start. They won't come out, but should refer you. Realize, though, that in some areas chickens are exempted from animal cruelty laws and it's legal to do anything you want to them--starve them, bury them alive, etc.

AND--and this is the big one--if you can't do anything legally for these birds, you will just have to harden your heart to them and wait for them to die. DON'T sneak them food and water--that will only prolong the suffering. DON'T steal them. That puts you on the wrong side of the law. If you can't do anything for the birds legally, leave your neighbors strictly alone. I say this because you have to protect yourself and your family first and foremost. You do not want to make your family see you go through the court system for theft. You do not want to use your family's money for fines or (much worse) have to give it to your neighbor when they sue you and win (if what you did was harassing or illegal). Yes, it's sad to see these birds suffer. But PROTECT YOUR FAMILY FIRST.

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    This reminds me of my MIL, when camping in a campground someone always leaves their dog in camp tied up and the darn thing barks all day... my MIL would turn it loose for it to end up at the camp host's site until the owners returned with a but chewing by the host. [​IMG]

4. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    As I have stated in MANY of my posts here I will NOT steal a bird. If you read some of the past posts on this thread you can see although its a **** good idea I and many BYC'ers are mainly joking about this, but wishing we could. Trust me I know the law and always stay on the correct side of it. I have children and they are the most important people in my life. I do my research !!

5. Rogue-Feathers

Rogue-Feathers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    My advice?

- Buying the birds would not teach these people anything except that they can get away with animal abuse and would only encourage them to buy more animals in replace of the old ones. You could offer to take the birds off her hands if she can't cope with them or explain to the kids they need more then a cupfull of food to keep the birds happy and healthy. I'm suprised you have just let them carry on and not called any authorities if things are as bad as you say.

Stealing them is down right irrasponsible and would most likely make an enemy of your neighbour, things could get ugly and nothing would stop them from trying to steal the birds and yours back. You would also stress the birds out a lot as they are all ready in such poor condition.

It would seem like things are just not up to your standered because no one would jst stand by and let animals starve in a field. and just post about it on a forum Its great that your trying to help but your not doing these birds any favours or yourself leaving them to suffer like this. You have done your best all ready I would look at the bigger picture and get authorities involved so the right thing can be done to end these birds suffering.

6. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    It would be better if you will read all the posts. I have posted that I did offer to take the birds but they say they want them. The kids can only feed the birds the amount they are told to feed or get yelled at. My last post also states that "stealing" them was only us kidding. The birds are in a coop not just out in a field and it is not that its "just not up to my standards" It would help if you would read the past posts like I have suggested in my last post already. I posted this on here while looking to find who I call since I am in the country out of city limits. Please people before you post on here criticizing me for asking you all for help, read what has already been discussed not just a couple of our last posts. I am not the bad guy here!!!!

7. bluegiantsc

bluegiantsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    York, SC
    No you aren't the bad guy here at all! I've been with the thread since the beginning because it really bothers me the way people are about their animals, like the animals are lesser beings because they can't speak.
    I've been one of the first ones to say 'steal' them, then other people jumped on the bandwagon. We're all just joking (kinda[​IMG]), we know that you wouldn't steal the chickens from them. That would be terrible for you, because then you would have to deal with the backlash of the people. And you have children, so that doesn't exactly send a good message to your kids. You're being an adult about it and going about it the right way.
    Someone said you should harden yourself to the situation, and just wait for them to die. Thats a terrible way to deal with it, then you would be just like their 'owners' I mean if you were going to just let them die, just go out in the middle of the night and cull them. That would be a more humane way to go than starving to death. But I know you won't do that, you'll go through all the legal channels you're supposed to go through and do the right thing. Its just a time consuming process and thats what really blows about the whole thing.

But...I have a long weekend coming up and could make the drive to MO. mwahahahaha. [​IMG]

8. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    This weekend huh? [​IMG] game on [​IMG]
    Yes this is a time consuming process, 2 places have already old me they cant help me [​IMG]and no clue as to who I can get ahold of. So I will continue to pound the streets of the internet to find another place to call. Its frustrating.. I am not going to give up and now since I am not allowed on their property it is even more dire because I can not throw them food. I have a couple more options on agencies to call hopefully one can help me

9. bluegiantsc

bluegiantsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    York, SC
    Is there not an animal control where you are? I'm sure that would have been one of the first places you would look, but I'm just curious. My mom lived in a place in Tenn. that had no animal control and almost no police. You were pretty much on your own up there and if you didn't have a gun, then it was good luck to you!
    I, of course, am not familiar with any kind of MO authorities; just curious. Is there no bureau of chicken protection? (I know that sounds like a joke, but seriously?) Like a chicken protection group? There are protection groups for all kinds of animals. I understand what its like to live in the country though, I also live in the middle of no where and its pretty much a free for all out here with the animals. Hopefully you'll be able to find someone to help you with them. I mean, there has to be SOMEONE.

PM me if you need the real assistance. [​IMG]

So I just thought about this, they started off with a dozen chickens, some turkeys and 6 ducks. They culled the ducks, and one of the chickens died. Have any of the other birds died?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  10. arienwolf

arienwolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Central Florida.
    You can only wish, If I lived around you, I hate to say it (as I try to do good in all things) I would be a partner in chicken saving crime.[​IMG] Like silent thiefs in the night.[​IMG] Just need a couple dog plastic crates and a live trap with a coon to replace the chickens with...Maybe some loose feathers... J/k[​IMG]

animal control. aspca. local shelter might be able to direct you to someone that can help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by