Animal abuse?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's shocking how often I see birds treated much differently then I treat my own. I don't agree with confining birds, but it happens more often then not. However, when it comes to feeding and watering the birds and making sure they have their BASIC needs, I would definitely take action.
I know it's not your responsibility to take care of the neighbours birds. If they won't do it, and animal control can't do a thing, I personally would continue to take care of their birds. I just couldn't stand by and watch them starve. I probably would get someone to steal the birds. I wouldn't do it myself
hide.gif

I recently attended a poultry show. I was in charge of feeding/watering all the birds. They said my birds would never know what hunger felt like. Everyone was very well taken care of when I was around.

The only problem is that I was told to stay off their property or they would call the sherriff.. Now I dont want to get arrested for trespassing just to throw some food in the coop. I want to help them, that is what I am fighting for but I cant do that from a jail cell. Hopefully the dept of agriculture will help.. If not its off to hire my chicken ninja
duc.gif

This may sound odd...but, I just can't help thinking this way.

I would let them call the sheriff. When he gets there, he can see for himself how the animals are being treated. You can explain that they were starving and you couldn't allow that to continue. I just have to wonder, who would be in more trouble????

Have you tried calling the sheriff, yourself? Explaining the situation? I have been with the thread since the beginning but, sometimes with all the different threads I view, I forget some things....
The only problem is that I was told to stay off their property or they would call the sherriff.. Now I dont want to get arrested for trespassing just to throw some food in the coop. I want to help them, that is what I am fighting for but I cant do that from a jail cell. Hopefully the dept of agriculture will help.. If not its off to hire my chicken ninja
duc.gif

Last edited:
This may sound odd...but, I just can't help thinking this way.

I would let them call the sheriff. When he gets there, he can see for himself how the animals are being treated. You can explain that they were starving and you couldn't allow that to continue. I just have to wonder, who would be in more trouble????

Have you tried calling the sheriff, yourself? Explaining the situation? I have been with the thread since the beginning but, sometimes with all the different threads I view, I forget some things....
I did call sherriff that is who gave me the AG dept's number.You are right about the going ahead and throwing food anyway. I cant let them starve. Maybe I can do it when I feed mine in the am I get up at 530-6 and the neighbors dont go out till 10 or 11 so no one will know

Yea it is very frustrating for sure. All I want to do is get these birds some help. Were you able to help them at all?
It's hard being impotent. Not being able to fix things. I wasn't able to do what I would have liked. I wanted to save them and I couldn't. I haven't accepted that fact yet but that's just how it is.

It's hard being impotent. Not being able to fix things. I wasn't able to do what I would have liked. I wanted to save them and I couldn't. I haven't accepted that fact yet but that's just how it is.

Oh I'm sorry. It is hard, even if it is not your animal. I love animals, all of them. Hopefully I can help these guys.

Ya know if their Dog scares you or they act like they are using their dog to scare you Make a police report.
Keep making them and when the dog does bite you even in a little way animal control WILL have to come out .

Or a complaint about a dog barking all night we animal control people get tired of complaints and will come out unfortunatly some people have no brains

I moved from country to city and im like WTH people here are raising chickens in small pens they see them on the news getting eggs the pens are rabbit pens and to me i cry

but when animal rights groups post that the major buisness people use them they think its OK .

sometimes it back fires on them. people like your talking about make me sick and also the main reason I like animals over people .

So I did a little reading of my own, to help give you some ideas about what to do and who to call. Unfortunately I came across some disturbing things. Chickens pretty much have no rights. Production birds, pets, show birds. All of them. They aren't covered by the Animal Welfare Act because they're farm animals. And in order to prove neglect the authorities has to decide whether the neglect was malicious or willful.

But on the plus side, those chickens do fall under the conditions described by the MO animal cruelty act. They don't have food or water or proper housing. So maybe, they will be able to help you as long as who ever it is thinks that chickens are animals. Chickens still don't have rights in MO, but hopefully someone will take pitty on them. Ohhh, and by MO law, if they were to get out of their coop and onto your property, you could call someone to have them removed from your property. But, it is a class C misdemeanor to open the door and just let them out. AHHHH.

Hopefully you got in touch with the right person today that Agricultural Department and they were able to point you in the right direction.

I too pick animals over people, always have. The dog doesnt scare me, he s super nice and he likes me so when he see me he runs to me. the poor dog also is locked in a xlarge dog crate 75% of the day because they say he gets in the way. He is a pit so the crate is big enough but just big enough. He gets screamed at all day and isnt put on the outside lead I gave them and installed. When he runs to me and sees one of the cats he will take off after it like lightening. He killed 2 of the cats they tried to bring home. One of the chickens I helped save was from the dog grabbing ahold of it when the chicken escaped under the kids' legs and the dog was out. This is what scares me , not the dog. I can do anything to this dog and he obeys, they can not cut his nails because he tries to bite them, I can just have the dog lay on his side and cut away and he just lays there. I bake dog biscuits and give him some of those too so yea he loves me
love.gif
.. He really needs new owners badly also.

It is totally sick and disgusting how some animals are treated and this is what the neighbors go by. Its the fact that they have see it doen and the chickens lived. so the way chickens are pictured on tv and movies the dumb clucks pecking in the grass laying eggs. all they need is a roof type attitude. Their birds dont free range because I have askedthat if they decide to let their birds out that they would need to watch that they do not come in my yard becasue I do not want mine to get anything from them so they dont let them out. Its so terrible makes me wanna explode
somad.gif

So I did a little reading of my own, to help give you some ideas about what to do and who to call. Unfortunately I came across some disturbing things. Chickens pretty much have no rights. Production birds, pets, show birds. All of them. They aren't covered by the Animal Welfare Act because they're farm animals. And in order to prove neglect the authorities has to decide whether the neglect was malicious or willful.

But on the plus side, those chickens do fall under the conditions described by the MO animal cruelty act. They don't have food or water or proper housing. So maybe, they will be able to help you as long as who ever it is thinks that chickens are animals. Chickens still don't have rights in MO, but hopefully someone will take pitty on them. Ohhh, and by MO law, if they were to get out of their coop and onto your property, you could call someone to have them removed from your property. But, it is a class C misdemeanor to open the door and just let them out. AHHHH.

Hopefully you got in touch with the right person today that Agricultural Department and they were able to point you in the right direction.

HHmmm misdemeanor you say? maybe the kid left the door unlatched? That is terrible that they have no rights..
I called the dept and I have to wait for a call back from the persoj who deals with this, is what I was told.. So waiting,,,, She said he would get back with me today which is the good thing.

Hey thanks for the research info, I have been looking and looking and couldnt find anything about MO and chickens rights.

Exactly, the kid left the door open and they came into your yard because there was a large dish of very appetizing food out there. Yeah, thats it.
wink.png

Hopefully the guy calls you back in a prompt manner. We can only hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom