Animal abuse?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This type of thing bothers the living **** out of me. I have 4 cats, 1 dog, 1 rabbit and 2 chickens. I take care of all of my animals just fine and I don't understand why people can't just take care of their animals. I made my chickens an auto waterer from stuff I had around the house, and they don't have a feeder but I feed them 10 times a day and give them fresh fruits and veggies. I don't expect everyone to be crazy about their chickens like a lot of the people on this site are, but we are just good pet owners. When I see this stuff it makes me want to scream!
We used to live in a neighborhood where our neighbor had a german shepherd that was on a 4 foot chain with no food and water and a plywood box for a dog house. We started feeding him and giving him water, after a few months of that we started to notice the flies and fleas and ticks on him. When I went to feed him one day, I saw there were maggots in his ears. Thats when i knew that I had to do something. (We had been trying to help the people, they either just didn't care or didn't know how to take care of an animal.) So that night, I wound up stealing the dog from their backyard and taking him to a rescue in the middle of the night. I know that is a drastic thing, but it was what needed to be done. I tried calling animal control and they didn't do anything of use.

I wouldn't advise stealing these peoples chickens, but if it gets worse then you should step in. I would try to take a step back though, just maybe keep an eye out. Some people don't think of their animals as family they just think of them as possessions. Unfortunately, when you're dealing with people like that then they would shoot you over a chicken rather than let you have them. Its a hard situation to be in, you have done the best you can and maybe thats all you can do. If it gets worse or if any more of them die then you should call whoever is in your area that will help. Then you'll have to deal with the aftermath of that, but sometimes its worth dealing with some ******** to save some animals.

Good luck to you, hopefully it will click with them and it'll get better!

This type of thing bothers the living **** out of me. I have 4 cats, 1 dog, 1 rabbit and 2 chickens. I take care of all of my animals just fine and I don't understand why people can't just take care of their animals. I made my chickens an auto waterer from stuff I had around the house, and they don't have a feeder but I feed them 10 times a day and give them fresh fruits and veggies. I don't expect everyone to be crazy about their chickens like a lot of the people on this site are, but we are just good pet owners. When I see this stuff it makes me want to scream!
We used to live in a neighborhood where our neighbor had a german shepherd that was on a 4 foot chain with no food and water and a plywood box for a dog house. We started feeding him and giving him water, after a few months of that we started to notice the flies and fleas and ticks on him. When I went to feed him one day, I saw there were maggots in his ears. Thats when i knew that I had to do something. (We had been trying to help the people, they either just didn't care or didn't know how to take care of an animal.) So that night, I wound up stealing the dog from their backyard and taking him to a rescue in the middle of the night. I know that is a drastic thing, but it was what needed to be done. I tried calling animal control and they didn't do anything of use.

I wouldn't advise stealing these peoples chickens, but if it gets worse then you should step in. I would try to take a step back though, just maybe keep an eye out. Some people don't think of their animals as family they just think of them as possessions. Unfortunately, when you're dealing with people like that then they would shoot you over a chicken rather than let you have them. Its a hard situation to be in, you have done the best you can and maybe thats all you can do. If it gets worse or if any more of them die then you should call whoever is in your area that will help. Then you'll have to deal with the aftermath of that, but sometimes its worth dealing with some ******** to save some animals.

Good luck to you, hopefully it will click with them and it'll get better!

I so agree with this post. I am super crazy about my animals and have always been the animal rescuer. I take better care of them than I do myself. That has always been my passion. I love sitting out with my birds and talking with them and just enjoying them they make me happy, I agree I need to step back maybe disassociate myself and see what happens and take steps as needed.. Its just hard when you see what is going on cause their coop backs up onto my property and it is about 100ft from my back porch.... But I will try as hard as I can

you could call the local news and let them and the viewers deal with it. or you could film it and put it up on youtube or reddit............when it goes viral something will happen.

why don't you see if she'll give them to you or offer to buy them from her and offer her a certain # of free eggs so many times a month for 1 year... or what ever you want. It sounds like they're totally lazy to me and want the benefit, but not the work. If you cannot get the birds, tell her flat out that unless they start taking proper care of the birds on their own, and explain what that means (just basic care, not your version), you will be forced to report them for neglect, and they will lose the birds and the benefit.

you could call the local news and let them and the viewers deal with it. or you could film it and put it up on youtube or reddit............when it goes viral something will happen.

That's a real spineless way to deal with the issue, if the birds are being neglected, waiting/hoping for a video to go viral could result the death of the birds. If the OP cannot work with the owners of the birds on her own, then she should contact the proper authorities to handle it for the sake of the birds.

I agree about that being a totally bad way to deal with it and will not do that. Yes I have offered many times to take/buy/trade for the birds and no luck, they say they want the birds so they will give them eggs. I told them if the birds are unhealthy the eggs will be unhealthy as well. It is the laziness, if anything at all needs to be done that will require either of them to get off the couch the young kids 9 and 8 are made to do it,that includes laundry, dinner, mowing, caring for the 3 yr old. Completely insane if you ask me. But the birds are my concern. The birds have been out of feed for 3 days now and no attempt of getting any has taken place. They have the money to get it ( I know this cause they just offered to buy my hubbies bike for $500) I dont get it.. I feel terrible for the birds. I am gonna look into what authorities to call around here because I cant let this go much longer. Thank you Sillychicken for backing me up
hugs.gif

Please, give a call. It even sounds like the kids might be suffering in this situation, also. Around here, we call the humane society with these issues. I wish you the best of luck! No animal deserves to be locked away without food/water.

I agree. I live in county not city so I have to call the agricultural dept for the state. I am going to look up the number today and give a call. I have decided this because the animals are suffering not because they are not doing things the way I do. I am going to ask the people at the dept if there is anything I can do first so that the neighbors dont seek revenge on me. I am also looking to move to a house dwn the street ooohhh I hope we get it soon.

Let us know how it goes!
Hopefully you'll be able to get some help. And remember you're doing the right thing! Those poor chickens can't go to the fridge to get their own food or turn on the faucet to get their own water, they need someone and that someone is you!
Good luck! And thank you for being such a compassionate animal lover. If there were more people like you (and others who commented on this thread) then the world could be a better place for animals. Buttttt, unfortunately the world sucks and people suck. I worry about their kids too, maybe call child protective services while you're on the phone with the animal authorities and see about a home visit for them. (maybe that's just my crazy side coming out!)

I live in the country, too. Surrounded by farmland. However, the humane society covers us around here...
I agree. I live in county not city so I have to call the agricultural dept for the state. I am going to look up the number today and give a call. I have decided this because the animals are suffering not because they are not doing things the way I do. I am going to ask the people at the dept if there is anything I can do first so that the neighbors dont seek revenge on me. I am also looking to move to a house dwn the street ooohhh I hope we get it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom