Animal Attack, Injured Wings

Mama.Hen

Chirping
Jun 19, 2018
Last night around 12am EST I found my chicks, nearly grown up, attacked by what we believe to be a raccoon. They are nearly fully grown barred rock hens. One hen has some of her wing missing and is being held on by a bone and one ligament/tendon. I wrapped her up with a cotton pad and gauze after cleaning her you with water and peroxide. The other chick has nearly no wing which I cleaned with water and peroxide as well as Poultry+Aid. They had something to drink as well as bits of strawberry and some bread. They are currently resting in our bathtub on a towel. I would very much appreciate some input and advise on them. Thank you so much!
35548110_958816227626549_1079507486882398208_n.jpg

35493980_958816490959856_2899074973152837632_n.jpg

Last edited:
How are they doing?
Can you post photos of the injuries?

Vet care is always best when you are dealing with exposed bone and ligament. Sometimes a wing may need to be amputated. There is a thread here where someone recently did that themselves. You may want to read that https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rning-contains-very-graphic-pictures.1244875/

Keeping the wounds clean and applying your wound spray or antibiotic ointment would be good. If you need to do any more flushing use the spray, some saline or chlorhexidine instead of Peroxide which can damage tissue with over use.

See that they are eating/drinking well.

fwiw-in your photo, the front chick that is lighter in color with a red comb, that looks like a cockerel to me. You have a pullet in the back:)

How are they doing?
Can you post photos of the injuries?

Vet care is always best when you are dealing with exposed bone and ligament. Sometimes a wing may need to be amputated. There is a thread here where someone recently did that themselves. You may want to read that https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rning-contains-very-graphic-pictures.1244875/

Keeping the wounds clean and applying your wound spray or antibiotic ointment would be good. If you need to do any more flushing use the spray, some saline or chlorhexidine instead of Peroxide which can damage tissue with over use.

See that they are eating/drinking well.

fwiw-in your photo, the front chick that is lighter in color with a red comb, that looks like a cockerel to me. You have a pullet in the back:)

They're doing so much better! They are eating and drinking like normal and they are now outside with the others again. Everyone is healing perfectly! I brought up amputation, but we agreed that it's healing okay; skin and all-well, except for the missing wing tip-!
Thank you for the information. We all just hoped they were all hens since we already have an older rooster, haha.
I would post pictures, however I don't have anymore currently and they are all inside for the night.

Glad to hear they are doing better!
When you have time, more photos would be great:)
Sorry the wait was so long. I have been busy and forgetful.
Good news! Skin and feathers have grown back on both the chicks! The one missing an entire wing comfortably roosts up with the others on the second branch. The chicken missing part of their wing is doing great! They roost on the bottom branch, which surprises me since I thought both chicks would never be able to get up that high on their own.

Sorry the wait was so long. I have been busy and forgetful.
Good news! Skin and feathers have grown back on both the chicks! The one missing an entire wing comfortably roosts up with the others on the second branch. The chicken missing part of their wing is doing great! They roost on the bottom branch, which surprises me since I thought both chicks would never be able to get up that high on their own.
This is wonderful! It sounds like they are doing great! Thank you for the update:)

Back
Top Bottom