Runner Duck attacked by family dog, please help!

YeeYee

Hatching
Jun 11, 2023
My duck was attacked by my GSP last night. She has a couple of spots in her back with feathers plucked out, but my main concern is an open wound located near the back left side of her belly, almost under her wing. We isolated her, cleaned her wound with water and peroxide, and used Vetericyn and Blu Kote. It has a pretty foul odor, which has me worried about an infection.
She drank a little over the night but hasn’t touched her food or water all day. Is there anything else I can do for my girl?

You may need to irrigate the wound that smells bad with saline, Betadine, or chlorhexidene. Then put some plain antibiotic ointment on the wound after cleaning twice a day. Do you have any pictures of wounds? Offer water with electrolytes up to her bill often. I will tag @Miss Lydia for more suggestions.

You may need to irrigate the wound that smells bad with saline, Betadine, or chlorhexidene. Then put some plain antibiotic ointment on the wound after cleaning twice a day. Do you have any pictures of wounds? Offer water with electrolytes up to her bill often. I will tag @Miss Lydia for more suggestions.
i agree with @Eggcessive about treatment. You def want to keep her indoors away from flies you don't want to have to deal with maggots. Clip the feathers back away from the wounds so it heals better and the feathers won't get stuck in the wound while healing. Only use peroxide one time it can hurt healthy tissue.

Please get some pictures of the wounds so we can help even more.

she may be in shock is why she isn't eating, try some warm water over a small amount of feed [like soup] and see if she'll try that.

i agree with @Eggcessive about treatment. You def want to keep her indoors away from flies you don't want to have to deal with maggots. Clip the feathers back away from the wounds so it heals better and the feathers won't get stuck in the wound while healing. Only use peroxide one time it can hurt healthy tissue.

Please get some pictures of the wounds so we can help even more.

she may be in shock is why she isn't eating, try some warm water over a small amount of feed [like soup] and see if she'll try that.
Thank you for the help. To my knowledge, she still hasn’t drank anything but she is eating peas out of my hand, so I put some in her water to try to entice her to drink. The smell isn’t as bad, and she is slowly starting to act like herself again.

Back
Top Bottom