animal protein requirements for layers

feltingfrenzy

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Greetings all,

My flock of 14 layers (9-Barred Rocks and 5-Silver-Laced Wyandottes) eat an organic, whole grain, soy-free feed. The feed's stats show:

17% protein
2% fat
8% fiber

The animal protein supplied by the feed is from fish meal.

I have a problem with pecking the tail feathers out of two of the SLWs, and the feed supplier suggested adding 3 cooked eggs (for 14 hens) daily to their diet. This seems like a lot. Anyone have experience using the hen's cooked eggs as the supply of animal protein?

I have a Coopers Hawk problem, so cannot let them free range completely to eat bugs worms.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

NanVA

I have no idea, but I'm interested to see what someone else can tell you. My chicks love boiled egg and although I certainly don't give it to them daily I have wondered how much is too much (mine are 3wks old)

Katie

With a protein level of 17% and with fish meal as an ingredient (one of the top four I presume?) I don't think you are feeding too little protein. UNLESS you are feeding a lot of supplements or treats. Are you feeding scratch feed or something else in addition to their regular feed? If so you may try reducing or eliminating those additional feeds.

Also, I would look at how much space you are giving them. For a stationary pen I suggest at least ten square feet per bird. Overcrowding causes stress which can manifest itself (sometimes) in the forms of feather picking and/or cannibalism.

I do give mine hard boiled eggs on occasion but not daily. My ladies are on 18% pro. So i don't think it's a lack of protein either. I do agree about space, is it roomy enough.

Calcium? mine get oyster shell free choice as the feed they are on is not a layer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom