1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Animal Protien

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Fentress, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Quote:It is actually often more costly to make a vegetarian feed, as individual supplemental amino acids are quite expensive, and vegetable oils are more expensive than animal fats. Vegetarian poultry products are definitely not manufactured as a way to produce a product more cheaply. They do satisfy a consumer desire for products that are free of animal proteins and fats.

2. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Quote:Animal protein sources are generally stabilized to enhance shelf-life, though long ago that was not necessarily the case. Molasses itself is quite stable. However, molasses does add moisture, and the types of feed to which it is added in significant amounts are generally textured feeds, meaning they contain grains, often cracked or rolled grains, which have a shorter shelf-life and will tend to mold in warm and humid environments, especially with the added moisture from molasses, unless a preservative such as propionic acid is used. Most poultry feeds use no or only small amounts of molasses, so it is not really an issue.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

5. Fentress

Fentress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Chesapeake, Va.

1 person likes this.
  6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I have been having a hard time finding any feed at the stores near me that have a feed containing animal protein in it. Kind of a bummer since I am sure they do need it. I will see if I can get them to special order game bird feed since they do not even carry that.
    I have struggled for 4 years to find a feed that has any in it. I resorted to giving them Mackerel 2 times a month and unsalted table scraps that are meat only. Their overall health has improved from doing this. Mine used to pull feathers off each other and eat them. Kind of freaked me out the first time I saw it. They no longer do this so something must have improved.

7. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    This is interesting. I have been under the impression that corn gluten is a cheap source of protein. Hence why it is being used so much in animal feeds. I had not known that Synthetic Amino Acids are being put into the feeds to complete the proteins. So we hear all the time that the body of the human or animal can't tell the difference between synthetic and natural because they metabolize the same.

So other than Marketing Purposes, I see no upside to the vegetarian chicken feeds, and would love to see a By-Product meal in place of Synthetic Amino Acids. I would think that a balanced diet of long and short chain acids from natural sources would be cheaper and better for the chicken. This is just my opinion of course.

1 person likes this.
  8. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI

9. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Umm. It's not Purina's fault that you bought old feed from TSC [​IMG]

Dr Roeder said "such as" propionic acid. There are lots of preservatives that could be used instead.

10. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You are right, it is TSC's fault for selling it and my fault for not noticing (just trusting them). Can you name any preservatives in chicken feed? Not that I am against looking up each ingredient listed, but if you know, it would be helpful, faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by