Animal relocation.

Pics

varidgerunner

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Here is what we know. Animals typically move a long way from the release site, and experience a high rate of mortality.

Here is a study. https://totalwildlifecontrol.com/documents/relocation-of-city-raccoons.pdf a raccoon study. 50% mortality in first three months. High likelihood of leaving the release site and ending up back in human conflict. Poor body condition following relocation could cause increased mortality in the first winter after relocation, possibly as high as 75% mortality within a year period.

http://icwdm.org/wildlife/euthanasia/Relocation.aspx
https://www.torontowildlifecentre.c...ildlife/trapping-and-relocating-wild-animals/
https://www.aurora.ca/Live/Documents/Relocating Wildlife.pdf
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/08/060819114905.htm

Please read these links before even considering relocating wildlife. Check your state regulations, it may be against the law, for good reason. If your state still allows it, don't expect that to last for long. The federal government rabies control programs are putting pressure on states to change their laws to prevent this very inhumane practice.

You think you are taking an animal to a happy place where it will live happily ever after. You aren't wrong for wanting to do what seems right, but what seems right in this case is very, very wrong. Chances are they won't stay there, an animal already lives there, they will move, become someone else's problem, spread disease, starve, suffer, fight and die. Not to mention the animal being harder to trap when it kills someone elses chickens, the young that got orphaned when you moved mom, the extra pressure you put on mom when you moved dad, and a host of other things.

So what would you do instead? In some places it is illegal to kill raccoons "brutally", e.g. with a gun or a blunt object. Instead you are supposed to take them to the vet to either have them treated for disease or have it put down "humanely". The problem is, most vets won't treat wild animals.

For starters, build your stuff so that raccoons don't get in and get your chickens. Then there isn't much need to trap them. If you are inexperienced or don't have the funds to have chickens responsibly, and simply must trap raccoons, there are licensed wildlife control operators in most every locality. They can transport and dispatch if you are in a location that prevents you from dispatching on site. If you aren't willing to dispatch or pay to have it done, you really should reconsider setting a trap. A good way to break the cycle of predation without trapping would be to sell or slaughter all of your chickens, until you were prepared to house them responsibly.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what would you do instead? In some places it is illegal to kill raccoons "brutally", e.g. with a gun or a blunt object. Instead you are supposed to take them to the vet to either have them treated for disease or have it put down "humanely". The problem is, most vets won't treat wild animals.

Killing an animal with a gun isn't brutal if you know what you are doing. A well placed head shot is a quick and relatively painless death.
IMO when you decide to take charge of an animal you are therefore responsible for it. Trapping and releasing is much like someone dropping a dog or cat off in the country because they don't "have the heart" to take them to a shelter. It might make the person feel better but it's miserable for the poor animal.

Killing an animal with a gun isn't brutal if you know what you are doing. A well placed head shot is a quick and relatively painless death.
IMO when you decide to take charge of an animal you are therefore responsible for it. Trapping and releasing is much like someone dropping a dog or cat off in the country because they don't "have the heart" to take them to a shelter. It might make the person feel better but it's miserable for the poor animal.
I agree, but the law states that killing with a gun is inhumane, which I disagree with too. I do think a gun is faster, and possibly less painful that a needle.

So here in Michigan this is what the hunting and trapping digest say.
Racoon and coyote may be taken on private property by property owner or designee all year if they are doing or about to do damage. A liscence or written permit is not needed.
I do not relocate anything that invades my immediate yard area. I practice the three S's
I had one neighbor who had trouble with racoon and would catch them in his live trap. Put them in the back of his pickup and drive about 1/4 of a mile accross a river and release them. He did not think racoons could swim.i think he was catching the same coon over and over again, the thing was half tame by the end of the year, and well fed by all the tuna he baited the trap with.
I had another accuatiance who had trouble with red squirels and would live trap them. He would drive them a couple miles away on some state land and release them. It seamed the more he did this the more red squirels he had in his bird feeders. So one day he spray painted the tail of one of them florescent orange, put in his truck and drove it away about ten miles and let it go. In three days the orange tailed red squirell was back in his feeder.
I dont go looking for trouble (i own 98 acres) but if critters come within my yard area, first they have to contend with my dogs, then me.
I live here, pay the land taxes, and i enjoy my free range chickens during the day. I give the wildlife 97 acres unmolested. The 2 acres of my house barn and yard are off limits.
The racoon is now an invasive species in Tibet creating great havic there, and our red fox is an invasive species introduced from europe.
Neither of these are on the endangered species list.
Coyotes who were primarily a western canine are now coast to coast and from south America to the artic. They are interbreeding with domestic dogs and wolves.

...the law states that killing with a gun is inhumane...

Can you post a link to this regulation please... I’m not doubting you... I just want to be informed on the verbiage of such a law, and be informed about where such a law exists... thank you!

I think your question is fair in those circumstances or where laws prevent discharging a firearm inside city limits, etc. I’ve helped others in a similar situation who had critters causing problems with crawl spaces and bird feeders, in town where their options were limited.

I'm glad I know someone that is a legal wildlife trapper. He has his own land that he recently purchased to turn into a sanctuary. I have not called him yet about my raccoon problem but I know he is part of the plan if needed.

In Illinois

The Illinois Department of National Resources is tasked with conservation and management of wild species in Illinois. By Illinois law, a property owner or tenant needs a Nuisance Animal Removal Permit to trap and remove most species of wildlife.

In Illinois: Illinois Department of Natural Resources does not allow for the trapping and killing of any species without prior authorization from them outside of trapping seasons. Even if an animal is on your property and you wish to trap that animal in a live trap to get it out of your home, Illinois requires you to have the proper permit before setting the trap. You cannot legally set a trap, a snare, or take aim at any animal or bird in Illinois without a permit in place. Always contact them first before taking any lethal action

Not sure how it works completely with that permit.

Back
Top Bottom