Animals are NOT Humans

In my opinion, as a livestock owner, a loss to predation is not acceptable. The animals in my care have no way of defending themselves from wild animals (as they are domesticated and have learned to rely on humans for most everything). Therefore, I will do everything in my power to protect them from predators that are actively seeking to damage them. When it comes down to a choice between my animals or the predators, I will pick my animals and protect my investment every time. That's my job as their caretaker and as a responsible livestock owner.
smile.png

Except for my mule, my animals are defensless. It is my responsibility to do everything in my power to protect them and maintain them. A life is a valuable thing, be it any life. My animals depend on me to keep them safe. Animals are not human, but I sure like them alot better than alot of people out there!

When raising animals there always have been losses and always will be. We do what we can to avoid this, just like humans for how many thousand years have.

Humans are very much predators and have a pack type structure. Thats how we got to this point in history. Along the way domesticated animals have been part of that equation, and we have formed a sort of kinship or familiarity with those animals. Losing an animal meant survival to our ancestors and it is still very much hard wired into us. Animals may not be humans but behavioral science will show you we still have many of the same base instincts and responses that exist in the animal kingdom.

Grieving, guilt, anger etc are experienced to some degree when bonds or attachments to anything are broken. Just the way we are.

I think alot of folks are nicer to their animals than to their neighbors or people they meet, isn't that ironic, LOL!
Its that unconditional love thing, they "love" you, give you no lip, and don't dis-agree with you...generally...
big_smile.png

My kids love to watch the dog whisperer and I told them, if you listen to him, the main problem he has is people putting human attributes onto their dogs and then wondering why they are screwed up and behave badly, LOL!
Humans are infamous for doing that to animals, I guess that's what the gift of cognitive thought does for some species.
lol.png

We forget (or some people don't really realize) that animals don't think like we do at all, and when we try to talk to them like we talk to each other instead of how they are wired then the trouble starts.

Sometimes I wonder how many people would survive if they had to live like the old days, catch/raise your own animals for food, slaughter/dress out, etc. I sometimes think there would be a lot of folks that wouldn't make it.. =]

I can relate to people wanting revenge on predators that kill their animals.

I do want to comment though that birds of prey are protected species. Just a little FYI that I am sure most of you know.

Don't say things in cyberspace that you don't want broadcasted.

Quote:
I just want to say that I agree 100% with seminole's statement and that I have a problem with the S-S-S method of dealing with federally protected predators only because it's against the law and we have laws for a reason.

I can see your point, and I respect it.

From my POV, I am protecting my property.

Whether it's my home or the living beings in the home, it's my property.

If someone comes into my yard and attacks my property, I will protect it (to bring this back to topic, it's the same way a rooster protects his hens when threatened...he doesn't just acknowledge that it's a predator and lets it have it's way).

That being said, I have NEVER injured an animal while protecting my property...but if it ever had to be, and it was me or them...well, it's going to be "them".

Wow, guess my husband's military training has rubbed off on me. haha

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom