Anna's Artists Chat Thread

Pics
Name: honestly drawing a blank
Appearance: An old man with a cane that he doesn’t use for support but rather uses it to punish people with. I might draw him?
Personality: Insufferable. He can’t sympathize with others’ pain. He says “it builds character” all the time. A crotchety old man. Always goes on about how others don’t know how lucky they are being able to taste and feel, but he gets little sympathy. A good ally to have.
Abilities: Both a blessing and a curse, given to him by a bad fairy as a child. Doesn’t hunger, thirst, or tire or feel pain. He does not require sleep. He doesn’t feel any human sensations. He doesn’t have tastebuds. His only vice is, in order to retain these abilities (and not die a slow painful death because he’s incapable of consuming food) is to say “it builds character” every 10 minutes. Can run forever, strength is only limited to what fits in hands.

You ever have it where you don’t know what you want someone to look like but you know what they don’t look like? Well, this one? I’m not sure...
Not sure if I want facial hair or smthn but I think I nailed this picture and am not going to change it. View attachment 2544197
“Why isn’t your cane straight?”
“Would you like a demonstration?”
But maybe he’s one of those characters everyone imagines differently anyways.
I remember this guy. He's a riot!

It's a bit confusing and very unedited but I like chapter 12 a lot more than my previous chapters, because events are getting on again.
~Chapter 12~
When Peregrine woke up, twilight was still in its climax of power and the whole village was asleep. All that he could see was the rucksack beside him, helpfully illuminated by a glow worm crawling over it. Both glow worm and rucksack were gifts from Sage. The nuts within the rucksack had been collected by Peregrine himself.
Peregrine hopped down from his roost, heartbeat quickening with excitement.
Being Fully Fledged, Peregrine was completely independent of his parents, but the darkness still gave him the thrill of doing something secret.
Peregrine hefted the glow worm-bearing rucksack onto his back and hopped into the doorway, breathing in the cool night air. Peregrine thrust out into the night. None of the tree trunks were visible in the darkness. Peregrine’s tree-navigating technique involved nearly colliding with a tree and dodging around it when he finally caught a glimpse of it through the darkness.
This glow worm doesn’t help brighten this place up at all, but it probably looks really cool, thought Peregrine.
Peregrine had eventually navigated the village into the doorway of Gia’s hut. “Gia!” he shouted. “Time to get up! Breakfast, as we planned!”
A shadowy figure on the roost removed her beak from her wing. “Peregrine?” Gia croaked.
Peregrine set his rucksack on the floor and hopped over to a pile of berries.
He gulped one up. “Well if you don’t want any, I’m fine with eating all of them.” He pecked a couple more.
“Hey!” Gia yelped, thrusting herself off the roost, landing beside him, and defensively munching on berries. “Not fair!”
Peregrine shrugged and continued eating.
When the berries were all gone, Gia strapped on a rucksack that had been lying against the wall. “To Quill Feather!” she shouted, dramatically pumping a fist with her foot.
“To Quill Feather!” Peregrine agreed.
Quill Feather was the farthest village they could get to in a day’s flight. It was about halfway to Falcon Nest, and Peregrine and Gia had to wake up early in the morning if they wanted to reach it before nightfall.
Peregrine and Gia flapped into the twilight, rising above the canopy of trees. The moon had gone already, but all was illuminated by the pallid starlight. They had flown far west of the village before the star-studded sky began to get its first wash of grey. They passed a couple of villages, but didn’t bother stopping. Anyone living in the villages would be asleep.
The sun had just touched the horizon when the pair landed in a village very much like their own.
Without verbal consent, both birds landed in a tree they assumed was in the middle of it.
“Good morning, Gia,” Peregrine said cheerfully, peering around the dawn-shadowed village. (here they are pretending that they just woke up for the fun of it, but I don’t know how to make that make sense?)
“Good morning, Peregrine,” said Gia, winking. “Lovely day, isn’t it?”
Peregrine observed the village, comparing it with his own. The tree he sat in greatly resembled the market tree. He wondered when a bird would emerge from its hut and ask what he was doing. Usually, travelers were accepted with great interest in his own village, Oakland.
A black bird popped out of his hut, blinked up at the pair of birds silhouetted rather angelically in the early morning sun, and did a double-take.
“‘Ey! Who are you birds? I’ve never seen two fledglings like you in the village before!”
How can he tell if he’s never seen us before when he just looked straight at the sun? I can’t imagine he can see anything! Peregrine thought. “Should we go talk to him?” he whispered to Gia.
The stranger effectively answered his question by flying up and landing beside him.
“I’m Gia, and this is Peregrine,” Gia told the bird.
The stranger nodded. “I’m Merl. What would two fledglings be doing flapping around our village for?”
“We’re going to Falcon Nest,” Peregrine explained.
Merl whistled. “Why would you be going there?”
“Well, we’re going to protest. Society, as it is…” Peregrine said.
It sounded so stupid now, going to Falcon Nest with no real plan in mind, not even knowing what to say when he finally got there. Two fledglings couldn’t change anything, could they? Peregrine forced the negative thoughts back down. No use thinking about them. There’s no turning back now, or it wouldn’t be worth it coming this far.
Merl tilted his head. “Protest… society?”
“Well, Sage said…”
Merl went on. “You know, I heard some rumors about Falcon Nest. Dark things are going on there, dark things.”
“Like what?” Gia asked.
“Nothing specific,” Merl said. “Dark things.”
“How can you know they’re so bad if you can’t even tell me what they are?” Gia asked. “I’d rather judge for myself whether those things are so ‘dark’ or not.”
“Is there anything you can tell us?” Peregrine asked. “I need to know if something bad happens in Falcon Nest. I want to know what to expect.”
“Well, you’re not being very specific on what you’re going to be doing there, so I don’t know why I should be specific about what’s already being done there,” Merl pointed out. He scrutinized Gia’s feathers. “Hey, are you a red canary?”
“Yeah,” Gia said. “Peregrine and I want equal rights for the red canaries.”
“Hm,” Merl said. A contemplative, concerned look crossed his face. “I saw a red canary the other day. And there aren’t any in this village either. He was fleeing, said bad things were happening in Falcon Nest. When he found out there weren’t any reds in this village, he flew. It’s odd, you fledglings flying right towards the danger.”
“Peregrine, Gia!” A voice came from the above trees not far away. Peregrine looked to his left and saw two cloaked, rucksack-bearing figures flying toward him, followed by a ruck-sack bearing red-and-black bird. That’s weird. That bird is patterned like those feathers on Zephyr’s wall.
“Pearl?” Gia asked in slightly annoyed tones. “Why are you here?”
“Hey, Pearl,” Peregrine added.
“You didn’t expect you could leave without me, did you?” Pearl asked. “You two seem to think getting into mischief is a full-time job. Sage might be content with your certain deaths, but I’m not. If they won’t let me back on the B.O.P. squad, maybe I can at least prevent you from getting eaten between here and Falcon Nest.”
Pearl landed beside Merl, who seemed shocked at her appearance.
“That’s a terrible excuse,” said Gia. “You know as well as I do that there are no birds of prey in the part of the forest we’ll be traveling in.”
Feron and the strange red-and-black canary landed beside Pearl.
“Maybe it used to be so, but maybe it's not safe anymore without any red canaries on the squad,” Pearl said.
“I doubt that the hawks are proliferating in your absence,” Feron informed her. “There are just as many squad members now as there were when you were a member.”
“Okay, so maybe you care about us more than you let on,” Peregrine told Pearl. “But then why did you bring him along?” He waved a wing at Feron.
“I’m right here,” said Feron. “And if you must-”
“Who are you?” Gia interrupted. She was addressing the black-and-red-feathered stranger, whose presence she found far more intriguing than Feron’s.
“I’m Joey,” said the stranger. He was red splashed with black, especially on the wings and tail. He looked pretty young, only around a year old, but maybe that was because he was slightly shorter than Peregrine. Peregrine was fully grown height-wise, but he still associated a small size with youth.
Merl’s beak clicked open and shut as his eyes darted between Pearl, Feron, and Joey, perturbed by their familiarity with Peregrine and Gia. He had been doing so for the whole conversation, but only now did he muster the audacity to speak.
Merl turned to Joey. “Am I right in thinking you’re their son?” He waved a wing at Pearl and Feron.
Pearl, Feron, and Joey’s reactions were comical.
“But he’s so old!” Pearl said, jumping away from Feron as though he were poison.
Joey simply began laughing.
Feron shook his head and smiled. “I wish I had a fine son like Joey. But that wasn’t in the cards for me. And don’t say that, Pearl. Beryl was the same age as you are now when I met her.
“Almost three years ago,” Pearl muttered.
Merl looked as if he wanted to sink all the way through the tree and become one with its root system. “V-very sorry, very sorry all of you, I shouldn’t have assumed things like that, it’s just, with you being a mixed canary, I thought… You know, I really should be going.” He flew away.
“Think he’s actually got something to do?” Peregrine asked, chuckling and nudging Gia.
“Naw, unless moping and stuffing your face with berries counts,” Gia said. “Still, I think he overreacted. No need to worry about offending Pearl. She acts tough, but she’s actually just a sparrow. Plus, anyone could make that mistake. I mean, just look at how cuddly Pearl and Feron are, they’re obviously made for each other.” She waved a wing at Pearl and Feron, who now had as much space between them as Pearl could possibly manage.
Pearl fixed a glare on Gia. “Remember which of us carries the large knife…” she growled.
“I know!” Gia said cheerfully.
Peregrine turned to Joey. “What is a ‘mixed canary?’” he asked. “Where did you come from? Why haven’t I seen you before?”
Joey shrugged. “I’m a mixed canary. My mother is red, but my dad is mixed just like me. Before the massacre… before I was born, a lot of canaries were mixed. But a lot of them were slaughtered. When the remaining red canaries fled, not very many black canaries came with them, but most of the mixed canaries did. But it’s rarer to see us now.”
Peregrine nodded. “Okay. So why did you come along? And Feron, why did you come here?”
“I wanted to make a difference,” said Joey. “I live in the colony, just like Feron does. Didn’t you see me there?”
“No,” Peregrine said “But maybe you were someplace else.”
“Anyways, when Pearl came to the colony to tell Feron where you were going, I wanted to come along too. I’ve never been in the forest before,” Joey said.
“I came along to keep my promise,” Feron said. “I’m going to support you all the way to Falcon Nest. You, Peregrine, I think you are the seed of change.”
“I don’t understand half of what you say,” Gia said.
“Okay,” said Peregrine. He was fairly satisfied with Feron’s flattering, confusing answer. He turned to Pearl. “I don’t know what made you think I need help, but thanks anyways. Why did you meet me here? Of all places?” He waved a wing at the village. Some of the birds were going about their business, but the group had many curious onlookers.
“You got up earlier than I expected,” Pearl said. “I stayed the night in our village, but you were gone when I woke up. You should be proud of me. We had to fly pretty fast to catch up.”
“I’m sorry, I didn’t expect to be followed,” Gia said dryly.
“Well now that you’re here, I suppose you guys can tag along,” Peregrine decided. “We have a lot of flying to do today, however. Before birds start asking questions, we should probably go!”
“Fair enough,” said Pearl.
The group rose as one, leaving a trail of curious, confused villagers in their wake.

Chapter 13
“BLACKBERRIES!” Gia’s shrill yell interrupted Peregrine’s quiet, unambitious flapping.
Canaries were fond of most of the non-poisonous berry species. But the most coveted of these was the blackberry. Even Peregrine and Gia, who had not yet lived long enough to taste the fruit had heard tales of its greatness and joined Sage while he eagerly inspected the brambles in the greening stages.
Peregrine, Pearl, Feron, and Joey zipped over to the bramble like dragonflies.
“Blackberries?” Feron asked. He inspected the black fruit suspiciously.
“These are blackberries, right?” Gia asked. Every young canary knew that even if you have seen a fruit for all your life in its greening stages, it's still a good idea to get a second opinion before consuming it.
“Yes, go ahead and eat it,” Feron said. If Peregrine or Gia had noticed the fruit was a little more shriveled and less shiny than usual, they passed it off as a quirk of the plant, since they had never seen ripe blackberries before.
Gia swallowed a piece of fruit eagerly. “Ugh, Peregrine! These blackberries taste terrible!”
It is pure avian nature to defend something that is hated by another if you have not yet tried it. Maybe it’s just canary bullheadedness; it occasions especially if you are an optimist --or simply a sensitive soul who cares about the feelings of inanimate objects-- like Peregrine. “No they don’t!” Peregrine said, fiercely biting into a blackberry. It was bitter and flavorless. He endured the consumption of a few more before finally admitting defeat.
“You’re right, these do taste bad.”
Feron tasted one. “It’s this drought. It hasn’t rained for a while. The berries are all shriveled.”
Peregrine distinctly remembered the last time it had rained. It was that day he showed up in Feron’s hut, the day he’d met Zephyr. Peregrine shivered at the memory. It had been little more than a month beforehand, but it felt like a lifetime ago.
“Come on,” Pearl said. Her red breast was already dark with juice. “They’re not that bad.”
“Yeah, they’re really not that bad,” Joey agreed. “Still, it sucks for you, you’ll have to wait a whole ‘nother year to see what blackberries are supposed to taste like.”
After a furtive, sullen lunch, the canaries disembarked once again.
Villages passed. In each, the villagers were surprised and afraid by the appearance of red canary travelers, whispering of the “dark things” happening in the Capitol.
The companions were flying through one such village, and noted fear glittering in the eyes of their onlookers as they poked their heads out of their huts. Watching.
Silence fell as they flew, save for some anxious whisperings about “the Police,” and “Grackle.”
“What about a warm welcome?” Peregrine said to Gia, shoving her amiably. But the words fell dead.
A large, glossy canary landed on a branch directly in front of the group. A permanent frown curled his gape. His black feathers shone with metallic bronze and violet. He had a long, handsome tail. He might have been very attractive if not for his unpleasant expression.
He narrowed his eyes as he inspected Joey and Pearl. “You’re kind isn’t welcome here.” His voice was gruff, lacking the sing-song typical of most canaries.
“Hmm?” said Pearl. She landed beside the bird, close enough that he shuffled away from her. Apparently his intimidation tactics only worked if with adequate personal space.
“The Police haven’t come to our city yet, but they’ll be here soon. Until then, I’m the enforcer.”
“You and what army?” Pearl asked.
The great black bird smiled grimly. The smile didn’t improve his face at all. Then he raised his head and whistled. A small, threatening cumulonimbus of black and grey birds descended into the branches behind him.
“This army.”
“Oh,” said Pearl. She shivered and returned to her hovering companions.
“Yeah, and Grackle doesn’t like the Reds,” a small bird, grey and surly-looking, spat from a branch not far from the glossy bird.
An unexpected, blithesome laugh came from Peregrine’s right. Gia?
Gia fluttered forward. “Grackle? Is that a nickname?” She snorted. “Because no one could actually figure that one out when you were a hatchling. Names just don’t work that way.”
“Well, yes,” Grackle stuttered, shocked into giving his answer. Grackle really did look a lot like grackle. He also looked like he’d been caught off guard, like a hunting fox whose muzzle was suddenly torn off by his prey.
“What’s your real name then? Kernel? Oats?” Gia asked.
“It’s Willie! ‘Grackle’s’ name is Willie! I named him that!” The voice who had spoken spat “Grackle” out as if it were poison. A small, white-speckled elderly bird emerged from her hut, fluttering beside “Willie.” She stared fiercely into Grackle’s eyes. He seemed smaller and more uncomfortable beside the diminutive bird.
“I don’t know what you have against those poor Reds,” she said, “and their doom is set against them anyways. But you and your ‘gang’ fluttering around threatening them is entirely unnecessary. They’ve got fledglings! They’re travelers. They’ll clear out soon. I don’t know what they plan to do here, and you shouldn’t make it your job to care about that.”
“Mother…” Grackle said.
The small bird whipped a wing across his bill, silencing him. “Don’t call me that any more! Spoken not long ago, I would have been proud to hear it from your bill. But now it is only a mark of shame. Let the poor travelers pass! It’ll be punishment enough when the Police come. You don’t understand what it was like Then.”
Grackle clicked his beak firmly. He regarded the companions.
“Fine… by a mothers wishes… I’ll spare your life. But get you going! And don’t expect them to give you such an offer in the next village!
As they left the village, the travelers felt eyes following them, but not a wing stirred on breeze nor bough, and their watchers remained motionless.
“I think we should follow Grackle’s advice,” Peregrine said.
“His advice?” Pearl asked.
“Avoid any more villages.”
“Well, you don’t have to tell me that. Still, I was hoping for a nice meal in Quill Feather. Now we’ll have to eat what’s in our packs.”
“Personally, I’m relieved,” said Peregrine, zigging back and forth to make the food in his rucksack rattle like beads. “I don’t want to lug this thing around any longer than necessary, rattling so enticingly. It sounds delicious. It’s making me hungry.”

I wanna do a six fanarts for some reason...everyone please name one character you want me to draw. they can be anyone from any fandom/media you choose
Awesome! How bout Tulip from Infinity Train?
6904FBAB-5ACC-4A7C-B121-95064A5D4A16.gif

Back
Top Bottom