Anna's Artists Chat Thread

Pics
*Slaps 2 pages of paper onto the table* This here is the first draft of the second rewrite of the second story overhaul of the first chapter of my book. YIKES!!
Sam woke up with her face buried in bitterly cold snow. She hauled herself up onto her hands and blinked, finding herself still wearing her plain striped pajamas. There were a few flakes on her eyelashes, and a decent powder had already covered her back. There was hardly a dent in the snow around her where she could have skidded or rolled as if she had been thrown. In fact, there was nothing to suggest any sort of way she could have found herself like this--in the middle of a vast expanse of cold black sky, whistling wind, rolling snowdrifts, and snowflakes falling like stars. It could only be a nightmare. I know I am dreaming. I can will myself to wake up, Sam thought. But Sam did not wake up.
A sudden light cast a warm glow across the frozen field, and Sam could see that it was coming from some sort of torch. Perhaps she wasn’t alone out here after all. Shuddering from the freezing wind, she stood up on shaky legs and brushed the snow from them with numb fingers. Then she made her way towards the light, one painful step after another, the several inches of snow finding its way into her sneakers and chilling her socks.
As she emerged from the top of a large hill and peered down into the valley, a whole string of lights came into view. From far away, they looked like they were part of a brightly lit city. But as Sam cautiously slid closer down the slope, she could see that they were lighting up a grove of massive trees. And when she squinted, she thought she could see a little figure scurrying between the lights.
Before Sam could stumble any closer, the snowstorm thickened. A huge blanket of white slammed her back down into the freezing snow.
Sam screamed. Then she woke up.
A dream. Of course it was a dream. Sam fixed her pillowed gaze on the phone beside her bed. It pinged.
This is dad. We settled things, your mother will be out of the house for a while. I’m coming to get you in half an hour, be sure to pack up your stuff.
Sam rolled out of bed and texted back. Ok.
Within ten minutes, she was dressed and cleaned up, and her pajamas were neatly folded in her backpack. She took one last look at the room she had stayed the night in--large, yet dusty, worn, and cluttered with pointless furniture and useless old relics--and felt the sharp chill of an elusive draft. Maybe that was why I dreamed of a snowstorm, Sam thought.
The last thing her eyes rested on was the strange little globe sitting on one of the three dressers. Instead of sporting the blue and green colors of the earth, it was painted over in solid black and was covered in tiny pinpricks, and it had faint purple lettering across it spelling out For You. Something about it compelled her, so she took it down and carried it with her.
Sam began her descent down the steep and creaky wooden staircase that led to the second floor, then past several doors through the hall, then down again to the kitchen where the humble hostess, Mrs. Crane, was waiting for her guest.
“Morning, Sam. Did you sleep alright?” Mrs. Crane asked with a small smile. She was a tired-looking woman to match her practically crumbling house, though her round freckled face and auburn hair in gentle waves seemed to suggest a time in her life where she was happier.
“Yeah. Thanks.” Sam brushed a strand of shiny black hair from her own face.
Mrs. Crane glanced at her watch. “Your father won’t be here for another twenty minutes. Do you want me to make you something for breakfast?”
“Okay.” Sam slid into one of the wobbly counter seats and set the globe on the table to examine it better. “What is this thing, anyway? I hope you don’t mind me asking.”
“Belonged to my daughter. I made it for her, in fact.” Mrs. Crane sighed and pulled a plate from the cabinets. “You can keep it.”
“What are all these holes in it?” Sam asked as she ran her fingers along the bumpy surface.
“They’re stars. I put a little light bulb inside the globe so it lights up like a disco ball. Then you can see the night sky in your room. That’s why my daughter called it The Observatory.” The woman smiled to herself, most likely remembering her past.
Sam felt a sharp pang of sympathy for the woman as she remembered what her parents had said about her a few nights before over family dinner.
“Her name’s Emily Crane.” Sam’s father had leaned forward in his chair.
“Her daughter drowned in a swimming pool a few months ago,” he continued, “and she’s recently lost her job.”
“Wasn’t she a neuroscientist?” Sam had asked.
“Yeah. Anyway,” Sam’s mother spoke. “We were friends in high school. I haven’t talked to her in ages. We kind of...went our separate ways.” She scrunched her nose a bit into what almost seemed like a sneer.
It wasn’t until a few days later that Sam had found herself on Mrs. Crane’s shoddy doorstep in the rain. Her father had told her that Mother was drunk and very angry, and Mrs. Crane was the only person they knew in town who could take care of Sam while her parents settled things out.
Mother had protested violently. "You can't trust that lady! She's insane!"
Father had simply herded Sam into the car. He’d rolled his eyes, but Sam could practically smell his anxiety.
Sam had been afraid, but was treated with hospitality and sent to a bedroom in the attic for the night. Nothing had happened that was out of the ordinary. But her dream was nothing like any she’d ever had. It was very cold and frightening and lonely.
It felt very real.
TL;DR: Sam has a dream where she is in a snowstorm. She wakes up from the dream. Her dad texts her saying he's going to pick her up from her neighbor Mrs. Crane's house, where she stayed the night due to family issues. Sam finds a small painted globe in the attic with lots of tiny holes in it. Mrs. Crane tells her it's a gift she made for her daughter that projects stars onto the wall. Flashback to Sam's parents telling her that Mrs Crane lost her daughter in an accident and Sam's mother doesn't trust her.

You can find the first rewrite of the second story overhaul, along with some corresponding art, on the main thread. If you already saw that, the main change I made to this was to cut the flashback way down and make it seem less out of place, which meant ditching the street corner scene (I didn't like it anyway). I also had Sam wake up from her dream and talk with Mrs. Crane at her house.

I'm also renaming my story to Reverie. That is to say, a very pleasant dream. :)

Last edited:
*Slaps 2 pages of paper onto the table* This here is the first draft of the second rewrite of the second story overhaul of the first chapter of my book. YIKES!!
Sam woke up with her face buried in bitterly cold snow. She hauled herself up onto her hands and blinked, finding herself still wearing her plain striped pajamas. There were a few flakes on her eyelashes, and a decent powder had already covered her back. There was hardly a dent in the snow around her where she could have skidded or rolled as if she had been thrown. In fact, there was nothing to suggest any sort of way she could have found herself like this--in the middle of a vast expanse of cold black sky, whistling wind, rolling snowdrifts, and snowflakes falling like stars. It could only be a nightmare. I know I am dreaming. I can will myself to wake up, Sam thought. But Sam did not wake up.
A sudden light cast a warm glow across the frozen field, and Sam could see that it was coming from some sort of torch. Perhaps she wasn’t alone out here after all. Shuddering from the freezing wind, she stood up on shaky legs and brushed the snow from them with numb fingers. Then she made her way towards the light, one painful step after another, the several inches of snow finding its way into her sneakers and chilling her socks.
As she emerged from the top of a large hill and peered down into the valley, a whole string of lights came into view. From far away, they looked like they were part of a brightly lit city. But as Sam cautiously slid closer down the slope, she could see that they were lighting up a grove of massive trees. And when she squinted, she thought she could see a little figure scurrying between the lights.
Before Sam could stumble any closer, the snowstorm thickened. A huge blanket of white slammed her back down into the freezing snow.
Sam screamed. Then she woke up.
A dream. Of course it was a dream. Sam fixed her pillowed gaze on the phone beside her bed. It pinged.
This is dad. We settled things, your mother will be out of the house for a while. I’m coming to get you in half an hour, be sure to pack up your stuff.
Sam rolled out of bed and texted back. Ok.
Within ten minutes, she was dressed and cleaned up, and her pajamas were neatly folded in her backpack. She took one last look at the room she had stayed the night in--large, yet dusty, worn, and cluttered with pointless furniture and useless old relics--and felt the sharp chill of an elusive draft. Maybe that was why I dreamed of a snowstorm, Sam thought.
The last thing her eyes rested on was the strange little globe sitting on one of the three dressers. Instead of sporting the blue and green colors of the earth, it was painted over in solid black and was covered in tiny pinpricks, and it had faint purple lettering across it spelling out For You. Something about it compelled her, so she took it down and carried it with her.
Sam began her descent down the steep and creaky wooden staircase that led to the second floor, then past several doors through the hall, then down again to the kitchen where the humble hostess, Mrs. Crane, was waiting for her guest.
“Morning, Sam. Did you sleep alright?” Mrs. Crane asked with a small smile. She was a tired-looking woman to match her practically crumbling house, though her round freckled face and auburn hair in gentle waves seemed to suggest a time in her life where she was happier.
“Yeah. Thanks.” Sam brushed a strand of shiny black hair from her own face.
Mrs. Crane glanced at her watch. “Your father won’t be here for another twenty minutes. Do you want me to make you something for breakfast?”
“Okay.” Sam slid into one of the wobbly counter seats and set the globe on the table to examine it better. “What is this thing, anyway? I hope you don’t mind me asking.”
“Belonged to my daughter. I made it for her, in fact.” Mrs. Crane sighed and pulled a plate from the cabinets. “You can keep it.”
“What are all these holes in it?” Sam asked as she ran her fingers along the bumpy surface.
“They’re stars. I put a little light bulb inside the globe so it lights up like a disco ball. Then you can see the night sky in your room. That’s why my daughter called it The Observatory.” The woman smiled to herself, most likely remembering her past.
Sam felt a sharp pang of sympathy for the woman as she remembered what her parents had said about her a few nights before over family dinner.
“Her name’s Emily Crane.” Sam’s father had leaned forward in his chair.
“Her daughter drowned in a swimming pool a few months ago,” he continued, “and she’s recently lost her job.”
“Wasn’t she a neuroscientist?” Sam had asked.
“Yeah. Anyway,” Sam’s mother spoke. “We were friends in high school. I haven’t talked to her in ages. We kind of...went our separate ways.” She scrunched her nose a bit into what almost seemed like a sneer.
It wasn’t until a few days later that Sam had found herself on Mrs. Crane’s shoddy doorstep in the rain. Her father had told her that Mother was drunk and very angry, and Mrs. Crane was the only person they knew in town who could take care of Sam while her parents settled things out.
Mother had protested violently. "You can't trust that lady! She's insane!"
Father had simply herded Sam into the car. He’d rolled his eyes, but Sam could practically smell his anxiety.
Sam had been afraid, but was treated with hospitality and sent to a bedroom in the attic for the night. Nothing had happened that was out of the ordinary. But her dream was nothing like any she’d ever had. It was very cold and frightening and lonely.
It felt very real.
TL;DR: Sam has a dream where she is in a snowstorm. She wakes up from the dream. Her dad texts her saying he's going to pick her up from her neighbor Mrs. Crane's house, where she stayed the night due to family issues. Sam finds a small painted globe in the attic with lots of tiny holes in it. Mrs. Crane tells her it's a gift she made for her daughter that projects stars onto the wall. Flashback to Sam's parents telling her that Mrs Crane lost her daughter in an accident and Sam's mother doesn't trust her.

You can find the first rewrite of the second story overhaul, along with some corresponding art, on the main thread. If you already saw that, the main change I made to this was to cut the flashback way down and make it seem less out of place, which meant ditching the street corner scene (I didn't like it anyway). I also had Sam wake up from her dream and talk with Mrs. Crane at her house.

I'm also renaming my story to Reverie. That is to say, a very pleasant dream. :)
That chapter makes more sense now.

Chapter 11 Fully Fledged
Peregrine stood in the doorway of his hut. His hut. The hut he’d spent the last five days constructing, guided by his father. A month after he’d had The Excursion.
Peregrine gazed at the huts hanging beside his. His parents’, Mal’s and Pel’s. His hut wasn’t as good as Pel’s, but it was better than Mal’s, which was an unending source of pride for Peregrine.
Peregrine had matured over the past month, though the changes were only physical. He grew taller and his brown feathers grew longer. Peregrine was no longer the pudgy fledgling stuck all over with bits of down. I’m sorry, but it's true. This may be disappointing for the reader, but it was gratifying for him.
But even a Fully Fledged bird was still quite sophomoric. And his black and grey feathers were far and few between. Adulthood was still a whole year away.
Singing drifted down from the trees. Two brown heads popped out of the other huts, Mal and Pel.
A cloud of black and grey birds fluttered out of the trees bearing a rainbow of berries and flowers in their claws. As they flew in and out of the dappled sunlight, the bright colors shone like fireflies. Among them flew Pearl and her brother.
“Fly birds, fly! Learn to use the air! Use it as a roaming space, where liberty will find you! True freedom is found up within the yonder. Spread your fresh new wings and fly.”
This is only a small segment of the songs that were sung that day, and nothing can truly capture the beauty of a canary’s voice. Indeed, human language is crude in comparison to the great many words that canaries have for flying. It is not an experience I can explain, but I imagine that the boundless freedom birds feel while flying inspired those synonyms.
As the birds swooped over the fledglings’ huts, they dropped their burdens like a singing cumulonimbus suddenly dropping brightly colored rain. Pearl winked at Peregrine as she flew overhead. The flock grew silent as it settled in the branches of the tree.
Following the flock was a pair of birds, one black, the other grey-bellied, each holding three delicate monkshood stems in their beak, placing one on each freshly decorated hut. Peregrine’s parents, of course, were the performers of this ceremony. Monkshood was considered a symbol of maturity and was of the utmost importance for a Fully Fledged Ceremony.
Peregrine’s parents converged on their own hut for the compulsory speech. No matter how poor a bird was at speechmaking, they were expected to tell the community how sad they felt about their children “spreading their wings.” In a small community like Peregrine’s, there really weren’t enough speeches for the townsbirds to enjoy.
Between Mr. and Mrs. Quill, Mr. Quill had always been the better speaker. So he gulped in a bunch of air and faced the crowd while Mrs. Quill managed her most sorrowful smile. “It is today,” said Mr. Quill, “that my dear chicks must ‘spread their wings.’”
The crowd gave awed murmurs. They loved that phrase, especially when it was used in Fully Fledged speeches. It was actually used in every Fully Fledged speech in leui of originality, but its greatest value was the repetition. I believe the human equivalent of its significance would be “Live, laugh, love.”
“I feared this day, but I also looked forward to it. Because I value independence, and I love my children. If you love something, set it free,” said Mr. Quill.
The canaries nodded their approval of this commonly spoken statement.
“As is so, I must watch in fearful wonder as my sons and daughter become independent. They must make their way in the world. Four times the moon has waxed since they have come into the world, and they must come into the world again, in a figurative sense. They have learned the skills they need to be citizens of our society, and now they must join it. And so, I must say goodbye to them, for they will leave my nest… but citizens of Willowbrush, give them a warm welcome!”
Peregrine and his siblings flew out of their huts and landed on the soft beds of flowers and fruit that decorated the top. Cheering and tweeting resonated around them. A hundred adoring faces looked down at them. Peregrine absorbed the praise like a tree absorbing sunlight. Enjoy it. Something like this only happens once in a lifetime.
He was going to need it. Peregrine faced a lot of opposition in the near future.
I hate it less than I did but the end is really weird and wrong and it needs help.

A whole month had passed since Peregrine had had the subversive conversation with Gia. Peregrine stood in the doorway of his brand new hut. He had spent the last five days constructing it, guided by his father.
Peregrine gazed at the huts hanging beside his. His parents’, Mal’s and Pel’s.
Compared to his parents’ neat, leaf woven hut, Mal’s grass hut looked pretty lopsided. Even in grass, however, Pel’s handiwork was proving to be a carbon copy of his father’s careful weave.
Peregrine had matured over the past month, though the changes were only physical. He grew taller and his brown feathers grew longer. Peregrine was no longer the chick-fluff adorned pudgy fledgling he had once been. Even so, it would still be a year before he grew his adult plumage.

A whole month had passed since Peregrine had had the subversive conversation with Gia. Peregrine stood in the doorway of his brand new hut. He had spent the last five days constructing it, guided by his father.
Peregrine gazed at the huts hanging beside his. His parents’, Mal’s and Pel’s.
Compared to his parents’ neat, leaf woven hut, Mal’s grass hut looked pretty lopsided. Even in grass, however, Pel’s handiwork was proving to be a carbon copy of his father’s careful weave.
Peregrine had matured over the past month, though the changes were only physical. He grew taller and his brown feathers grew longer. Peregrine was no longer the chick-fluff adorned pudgy fledgling he had once been. Even so, it would still be a year before he grew his adult plumage.
Pin-on-Troll-face.jpg

Name: Hewitt
Appearance: An old man with a cane that he doesn’t use for support but rather uses it to punish people with. I might draw him?
Personality: Insufferable. He can’t sympathize with others’ pain. He says “it builds character” all the time. A crotchety old man. Always goes on about how others don’t know how lucky they are being able to taste and feel, but he gets little sympathy. A good ally to have.
Abilities: Both a blessing and a curse, given to him by a bad fairy as a child. Doesn’t hunger, thirst, or tire or feel pain. He does not require sleep. He doesn’t feel any human sensations. He doesn’t have tastebuds. His only vice is, in order to retain these abilities (and not die a slow painful death because he’s incapable of consuming food) is to say “it builds character” every 10 minutes. Can run forever, strength is only limited to what fits in hands.

You ever have it where you don’t know what you want someone to look like but you know what they don’t look like? Well, this one? I’m not sure...
Not sure if I want facial hair or smthn but I think I nailed this picture and am not going to change it.
E842F120-4DC0-4E79-8ADD-0B059150EA51.jpeg

“Why isn’t your cane straight?”
“Would you like a demonstration?”
But maybe he’s one of those characters everyone imagines differently anyways.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom