Announcing the new BYC Reputation System: Ovations

Hi I love this idea but I'm a little confused when it comes to giving ovations. So we start out with 10 ovations and when we give one does the ovation I give come out of my ovations? And if so what happens if we run out of ovations because we gave them to people on BYC. Thank you!
No, liking someone else's post does not affect your ovations. It just adds to the other members ovations.

OK I made a BooBoo! There is always one in every flock, eh?
tongue.png

I was doing the thumbs up for some of the pictures I liked in the 2013 Calender submissions and all of a sudden "it" took away my power to rate content. 'It" said no more for you uh uh . Come back later. Or something like that.
hide.gif

I'm sorry I really am. I won't do it again I promise.
bow.gif
There is a daily limit on how many thumbs up's you can give - to keep it from being misused.

what is it for or how do you get them i have 11 and idk how i got them

Ideally, when you make helpful or useful posts people will click the green thumbs up button and give you a "like". When people have a lot of those, it is somewhat an indicator of reliability of their information and of how much they contribute to this community. An added benefit is that it will contribute to a sense of belonging, and it's always nice to get "attaboys".

ok, I just noticed the Ovations. I went to change my avatar pic and noticed I have 2 "likes".
thumbsup.gif

So 11 is my total pints, I received 2, gave 3, and 2 completely different/UNIQUE people gave me ovations. So how does this equal 11? I have a sudden urge to blurt out quotes from "This is Spinal Tap".

Some votes given in the past didn't have any weight because for a period after BYC's conversion, we hadn't yet granted all users the starting bonus of 10. Since a reputation of 10+ is required to vote, these votes went into the system but with no value. At some point we did go back and grant the starting bonus of 10, but many votes were already in the system, and we did nothing to retroactively change their weight.

After the fix, all users should have a rep greater than 10. You'll either see no change to your points or if you see a change it would be your points going up. No one's score should go down.

Robbed?
There are some bugs in the calculations. They will be corrected. It may end up that you will have more.
I was being sarcastic. It doesn't much matter to me how many points I have. In upstate NY, we may have Canadian accents, but we are still New Yorkers. We eat sarcasm for breakfast, with some snark to wash it down. I know that with communicating in text, it can come across very differently than intended. Oopsie.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My ovations appear to have adjusted from one of the bugs being fixed. It went from 105 to 138.

Back
Top Bottom