Announcing the new BYC Reputation System: Ovations

Is it okay to give points to people that post funny things? I follow a thread called, "What is this chicken thinking?" and give people points when they make me laugh.

Quote:
A plain old 'like' button would be nice....and thus not undermine the 'ovations'.

Last edited:
It's not ideally what the system was meant for, and if you do it too much it will dilute your votes, but in cases where you're exceptionally impressed or happy about the post, it might be ok.
Okay, thank you! I'll keep that in mind from now on!
smile.png

As mentioned before, I'm on a thread called, "What is this chicken thinking?" where you post funny captions, to funny pictures of chickens, and I asked if it's okay if I "thumbs up" them, and you said if I do it too often, it might dilute my votes. Well, on there, people will "thumbs up" some of the captions I post. Will this somehow undermine my ovations, or does undermining only happen when voting?

I hope this makes sense, it seems kind of confusing when I'm trying to write it out.
hmm.png

Wow .. I really like this.. and on Idea's to suggest.. I have one to add.

Many of the threads have hit and miss .. Fablous posts.. and are over hundred of pages long.. and new folks comming in tend to go to the current date.. and ask the same ol ??'s.. I wonder if you.. could .. ad a special place at the front / or First post.. or at top of the page. that would List the post with say... more than 3 ovations. That would get the cream of the crop posts and newby's and oldby's alike could find them and sent the inquier to that.. or.. mayby.. if they read the first page.. they'd find it on their own.

I would really like this .. I visit the FF for meat birds / Meal worm farming / post your coop / poop board./ ect.. and it would be very helpful..
especially for me on a dinasaur of a computer. that takes forever to load pages < especially with all the new add's.. I know you gotta pay for band with some how.. ; )

Have you thought of different way's to show the best posts in the very long thread's?
or is there a way i can search the thread for multi ovation posts..

Thanks for your consideration..
Debra from Dodge.

I do love the Ovation idea, now that I have read about it and understand its purpose. And I easily see where all the confusion comes from with it. Myself being a Facebooker and Pinterester! lol

However, I do suggest a real "like" button, along WITH an Ovation egg why? I see so many posts and so much space just taken up with an "OK" "thanks" got it" and so on... It really could clean up a bit and make things easier for everyone to read and share because we all like to be polite and to "like" a post gives acknowledgment. I have only posted a few times and feel likeI havent been able to say a quick thanks or got it and I dont want to clutter already long threads. Does that make sense? oh well

Just a suggestion from a newbe who is trying to figure it out!

Love the site bringing us together, thanks!
thumbsup.gif
psss and I reaaaaly love the smilies they are always cracking me up!
Boy do i agree with this.. I do not FB or other social media.. but there is way to much of the above.. to make this site really timeworthy for me.
I understand about re.training old dogs and humans : ) many would not change there way's..
I also wonder if there is some ?? emotional payoff for the # of posts # that is by the persons icon / and sign in thing on the left of posts..
This may encourage.. idle posting .. or it could be habits from other sites.. applied to this one.

I guess the other object / hurtle is - letting users know how to use the properly.. and aknowledging them for that. < what you praise gets repeated>

ahh.. you did ask for suggestions..
sorry about that..

gotta go < play with chickens..>

Back
Top Bottom