Annoying Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chirpybirdy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. chirpybirdy

chirpybirdy New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Hey everyone [​IMG] I have 2 khalki campbell ducks, one male (Dex) and one female (Dezzy). They share a big pen with 2 chicken hens (Pure Bred Black Australorp named Phantom) and (Australorp x Goldlaced Wyandott named Tiger) and a rooster (Pure Bred Blue Australorp named Echo) and are about nearly 9 months old. They've been together and hand raised since 3 weeks old.

These last 2 months have been absolute chaos. When my ducks first started mating, my male would try to mate with one of my chook hens, but now has progressed to just attacking her all the time. She's looking a bit bald on the head and has lost a lot of weight since my drake chases her off when she comes over for food. I believe she is also lowest of the pecking order (Tiger).

He also will not let any of the chooks near his female, he even attacks my rooster (whose a big sook) but twice the size of him. My chooks and duck hen are best mates, just sucks they can't even go near her now. Why won't my rooster defend himself or his hens? Why is he such a sook? Does he think my drake is the dominant of the flock?

And just today, my little black Australorp (Phantom) started to go broody and has been sitting on her eggs all day and hasn't moved. My drake is now constantly harassing her, nudging her around and pecking her back feathers out. She seemed distressed so I moved my drake to the outside of the pen, and all he's doing is running up and back like he wants to go back in. As soon as I let him back in, he's either attacking or annoying my chooks again so I took him back out. He's now outside the pen, away from the chooks and is being very loud. He's an absolute pain.

I know drakes are annoying animals but could he be doing all this for a reason? Maybe something to with his female (Dezzy)?

I know now is the time to say bye bye to Dex, but will Dezzy be lonely without him?

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I dont know how well taking away your girls drake will go over. Maybe you can get another girl or two and then take him away, so Dezzy will still have duckie friends.
    Yes most of the time drakes are a pain in the tail. Sometimes you get a nice one thats just a clown, like my Curly. And then you get a grouch like Lefty[​IMG]

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

As Drakes mature they become Brats.....Sometimes Ducks and Chickens can not live in the same pen....Mine sure can not....

Drakes are as you know, are made differently than a Rooster...A Drake can kill a Chicken if he tries to breed it....You may need to separate the Ducks from the Chickens.....

Cheers!

4. chirpybirdy

chirpybirdy New Egg

Jan 5, 2017

I've separated my drake from the chickens, I just feel bad for him as he's wondering up and down the fence wanting to be near his female but she is very close and likes being with my chooks and they get on so well, but I'd feel bad putting her in with him as she's not a pain and she prefers to hang out with the chooks. If I put her in with my drake, he'll stop panicking but she will then start too because she wants to be near her chook friends :/

5. chirpybirdy

chirpybirdy New Egg

Jan 5, 2017

This is the first time we've owned a drake, honestly we knew they were pains but we didn't think they'd be that bad :/ Yeah I think we will try getting Dezzy some girls to hang with and then rehome Dex. Thank you for the advice :)

6. BirdGirl2004

BirdGirl2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2016
    I would either make Dex a meal or sell him. Get some more female ducks and then get one more male. Poor Dezzy is getting all the "attention."

7. chirpybirdy

chirpybirdy New Egg

Jan 5, 2017

Yes Dezzy has a lot of chooks friends. 1 in particular, Tiger - the one Dex attacks all the time. They're best mates, they go off on there own looking for bugs, they go to the water buckets and drink together and they nap together, very close and Dex absolutely hates it ha.

My partner wants to make a meal of Dex, and we may just do as you said and get her another female duck friend or two. Personally I think she may be fine with just the chooks as she's never worried about Dex when with them, even though he panics and calls her over, she's not interested. Will probably have to wait and see after removing Dex :/

8. Well.I had the same Promblem.I kept my two ducks in the garbage in a pen at night and let them free range during the day.But, one day, my boy was gone.Even tough wphe was a pain in my neck, still miss him.I regret it.But, you might have to make him dinner, if you can do that.If not, sell him?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by