Anonymous visitors & highlighted links, mailbox?

DitzzyChic

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
WV
I'd be more inclined to visit more if this board had an anonymous feature. I know it doesn't matter to some but there are times I prefer to lurk & everyone not know I'm around if I don't want to post at the moment. Last night logged out I got ads on the top & bottom. Thought they were only to remain on the top? Also prefer the links I've visited be highlighted. I can use my own settings on my PC to highlight on my own but it changes the entire look of all boards I visit. Also, something like a PM box would be nice.
big_smile.png
Any chance of this in the future? tia

Last edited:
Hey DitzzyChic, thanks for the post. I'm not sure what all the exact answers are as there are a lot of things still up in the air, but I'll post what I think / know right now:

1: Anonymous: This probably won't be added. As you pointed out, if a user doesn't want to be seen they can log off the forum. Also, until we (Cindi, Me, Moderators, community) figure out what we're going to do with donations, store, etc. the ads help offset the cost of this exponentially growing forum.

2) I'm looking into mark as read functionality, but I'm not sure if / when that will be added. It comes down to the speed, security, and cost of the board. Believe me, I want this almost as much as anybody.

3) Private messaging: Similar to the answer above, but I'd like to add it sooner than later.

Disclaimer: Any of the above can and might change.... this is a dynamically changing group and environment, but we'll continue to do what's best for the community as a whole.

Also, please remember: Our Gold Community still has 3 months left, so we've got plenty of time to make changes and decisions.

Yup, right now ads are only shown to "guests" of the forum.

In my opinion the ads are actually very clean, unobtrusive, and match the content of this site very well.

Long story short, this site is growing really fast and we want to ensure we can support the growth while still adding new tools and features.

Nifty-chicken,
Can you clarify this:

Our Gold Community still has 3 months left

What is "Gold Community" ?????

Sorry if Im asking a stupid question!
tongue.png

The ads are obtrusive. IMHO There are times I'd like to come here & read without everyone & their brother knowing I'm around. Last night I had ads on the top & bottom of the page. The chickenmaster tried once with this board & it wouldn't support the traffic. What makes you think it will now with even more members at the BYC ez than ever before that you hope to gain here? Seems you want everyone to move here but every time someone ask for a feature to make our stay more enjoyable it comes back down to the $$. If the board isn't easier to navigate & you can't PM someone then you'll get the lesser traffic & no worries. JMHO for what it's worth....

Hey DitzzyChic,

"What makes you think it will now with even more members at the BYC ez than ever before that you hope to gain here?"
Answer: Because I have more experience with forums than he did and I'm more careful about implementing the right features at the right times. I'm already successfully hosting a forum that far surpasses what was attempted before. Please know that no host is perfect... even ezboard has made a mistake here and there.

"Seems you want everyone to move here"
Answer: I want everyone to have a wonderful experience and enjoy their chickens. I believe that this can be accomplished in many ways... I'm just trying to do my best with the resources I have available (includeing the help of some excellent moderators and members of this great community) to make this the best forum it can be. Will that experience be on ezboard, here, both... we all have our opinions and only time will tell which is best for the happiness of everyone over time.

"every time someone ask for a feature to make our stay more enjoyable it comes back down to the $$."
Answer: I don't agree with this statement, but yes, to run any good organization (whether it be corporate, non-profit, religious, etc.) takes resources (time, money, etc.). The need for these resources won't change if you are here, ezboard, or anywhere else. Will someone please call Bill Gates to see if he wants chickens and is interested in donating more resources so we can do everything everyone wants?
big_smile.png

"If the board isn't easier to navigate & you can't PM someone... "
Answer: First off, lots of people do like this board better, even as it is. Please don't make a blanket statement that this board isn't easier to navigate... this may be true for some, but not for all. Also, PM will be added... I just can't promise when. Please be a little bit more patient... this forum has only been around for 3 months and a lot of exciting things have already happened (and will continue to).

"then you'll get the lesser traffic & no worries."
Answer: Well, honestly, even if this forum remained exactly as it is (and it won't) I can almost guarantee with 99.99% surety that it will continue to outgrow ezboardBYC. I think someday ezboard will make some pretty major changes to their platform and the ezBYC community will not have a say regarding those changes and will be glad this forum is here. Every change that has been made and will be made (that is at all significant) is run by Cindi and usually the moderators. I can guarantee that process has nor ever will never happen at ezboard.

I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine. The fact that this board is growing exponentially faster and retaining those people more than ezboard proves that some of the things we are doing are better.

Back
Top Bottom