Anonymous visitors & highlighted links, mailbox?

PM's are my main request since I hardly ever check my email because I just don't remember or fail to take the time to check. Being onboard & having a new message show makes it a lot easier to contact another member. One message board I've posted at that is similar to this one allows 5 pm messages & then starts deleting them to save space & resources. Is this a possible compromize?

Quote:
Yes, when PM is implemented admin will have the ability to limit the number of PM's per member. I personally don't like having my PM's drop off, but we'll definitely need to set a number so it doesn't get out of controle (I know how some of you people really like to blab blab blab
tongue.png
).

Remember, with millions of pageviews a month, every new feature has the potential to increase that number by a certain % thus making resources needed to support that feature grow proportionately and maybe exponentially.

It's one thing to not add a feature, but it's another to add it and then to remove it after people get use to it... that's when the screaming, kicking, and name calling really begin.
wink.png

Ok, fair enough.
big_smile.png
I can see your point!! We can be sort of bratty at times with the kicking & screaming bit!!!:eek:

if you have time and "resources" for this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3820
then i do not understand what the big deal is for the rest of the smileys and a pm function...I have been to punbb and understand the limitations (also when you are not a coder) so why not vbulletin...has all this and solves the problem of moving all the content of the ezcommunity over.

I personally have no problems with how this board is run and how it functions. Sure the idea of a striated board could be easier to differenciate between each individual post would be nice. But it isn't totally necessary.

I like the atmosphere here at this board way better than the other, and tho I am a long time chatter on chat interfaces I am not upset that chat is not here. More than likely I wouldn't chat here anyways (I could change my mind), but thats a personal issue.

Rob is doing a great job and I applaud his hard work and it is hard work. It is very tough to make programs intergrate smoothly like we all want them to. You just can't wave that magic rod and make it so. You don't even want to know the thousands of men and women it take across this nation, just to program games like Baulders gate, which says on the loading screen, over one hundred thousand man hours went into producing that game. So I respect the people who spend ungodly hours away from their families to make your net and gaming experiences better for YOU. Just one byte can cause a bug. There are million upon millions of bytes in a program like this forum.

I believe someone mentioned a membership; although that sounds good, in theory, you would have thousands of people, who could not afford a membership, miss out being here at all, and that is not what BYC is about, whether it is here or on ezboard.

I came here for help years ago but I am not the most wealthy of persons. Maybe one day my ship will come in, but until it does, I am happy this board is the way it is, with those who have the resources to pay, to it keep it running for me. I wish I could help, but all I do have to offer is good advice when advice is needed.

Thanks Rob, for the great job your doing!

Arklady

Arklady, thanks so much for the nice comments, they are appreciated.

Quote:
The members that are helping to build this community are worth way more than almost any financial amount! This is our theory behind why the ads on the forum are showing to guests and not to members. The members are contributing their time and energy to help others, the guests can contribute by having ads shown to them (of course they can simply signup to become members).

The ads system + store is working okay right now, but as members want additional features that require more resources, the hosting / maintenance costs go up.

BTW, I'm doing all I can to make sure one of those badly coded bytes don't get into the forum!
wink.png

At this time I have no idea what your actual cost for the board is with the amount of members we already have & the features we've got so far. Why not ask each member (not mandatory membership) to donate at least $12 a year that most would otherwise pay for ezsupporter to go into the new BYC upkeep. I'd be willing to pay that if we could get some of the features that's been asked for & the others who aren't we could do the same as we always have make donations in the form of fundraisers & such to offset the cost. Personally I think any & all members could afford that amount whether we're wealthy or not. When you have a board the size of BYC I do understand the added cost & used resources. I also can see the members rallying together to help get the features we'd like to see & make sure there's $$ to help offset the cost. JMHO

Another website I belong to has a premiere membership, it costs $20 a year. With that you get the PM and chat functions, and a few more add ons. It was worth the $20.

Quote:
I don't know that it's quite fair to denigrate the volunteer time someone is spending for us by suggesting that it should only be spent in certain ways
sad.png
Quite frankly, when you have individuals gracious and generous enough to donate their time and energy, one should also keep in mind that they're probably volunteering most where their interests and skills lay. If someone can spend the majority of his or her time moderating/improving this board, I don't think it's kind to be upset that some small amount of that donated time over the course of a few months was used for a pet project... a project that is also meant to improve this board, I might add.

I think it's far more productive to propose ways of dealing with the concerns you may have (such as premiere memberships for additional functionality, for example) than it is belittling someone's honest efforts to help.

Nifty-Chicken: :aww

I appreciate that this forum exists at all let lone complaining about people not doing it "right". I am not a chatter and I read only through the recent posts daily which is a wonderful feature. I think this site is amazing and that people would create and run this for the benefit of others is truly a gift. I think the bratmeter may be fluctuating. Premiere memberships sound like a great alternative. For me even a dollar a month would probably keep me out of the forum and reading articles online instead. I enjoy the comraderie but finances go to hungry mouths around here (wild birdy ones, furry pets, feathered pets, and my children -not necessarily in that order
smile.png
. Thank you to all who make this board available to all of us without hassling us - it is truly a gift of love. ~Suzanna

Back
Top Bottom