Another 1st time coop build

AGGuy

Chirping
Jun 15, 2022
SoCal, Orange County, City of Orange
Just want to say thanks to the advice I've gleaned from this blogsite in 1 day (my first)!
Examples are:
  1. How much ventilation for a moderate (but warming) climate in Orange County, SoCal.
  2. Especially liked the drawings about ventilation. Informative And entertaining!
  3. The idea to raise the doorway 4" in anticipation of putting in a Chicken Guard popdoor so as to not let the deep litter I'm planning tumble out with the mad rush egress in the a.m.
  4. Confirming the number of chickens my 3'x7' coop with a 65 square foot run will support (I'm planning to start with 3-4 with a max of 6.
  5. How to locate and space the roosts
  6. That people are wiling to share and help
Here is my build after 4 days of work, with a few to go...
Thanks again BYC People
Art The AgGuy

Attachments

• Coop Day 4.jpg
    Coop Day 4.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 9
  1. How much ventilation for a moderate (but warming) climate in Orange County, SoCal.
  2. Especially liked the drawings about ventilation. Informative And entertaining!
  3. The idea to raise the doorway 4" in anticipation of putting in a Chicken Guard popdoor so as to not let the deep litter I'm planning tumble out with the mad rush egress in the a.m.
  4. Confirming the number of chickens my 3'x7' coop with a 65 square foot run will support (I'm planning to start with 3-4 with a max of 6.
  5. How to locate and space the roosts
  6. That people are wiling to share and help
Welcome to BYC!

Rule of thumb is 1 foot square of ventilation per bird, but more is always better. Especially in a warm climate like California. Since you don't get below freezing, you could even consider an open air coop, meaning one or more sides are wire rather than solid.

And coop space is minimum 4 square feet per bird, or 2 square feet if you are going with bantam birds. 21 square feet is really not enough space for 6 birds.

Back
Top Bottom