Another 1st time coop build

Great setting. You did a terrific job on your design build and paint and are going to have some fun.
The Ameraucana is beautiful, comes in many colors, docile and fairly quiet though a little shy. IMO, they are a joy to have and the blue eggs brighten up my egg bowl.
Definitely a Ameraucana, even if I can only get an Easter Egger
Blue is my favorite color
How do they know?
Art

Wow! Your coop looks great! Your chickens will love it! People are really helpful here. I just made this account and I’ve already learned so much! Good luck with your chickens!
Ditto on the helpful here at BYC
I used a lot of information from this site in the organic design/build of my coop
Good luck to you as well
Art

View attachment 3159458Finally got the coop and run done
Now off to get some chicks!
Thinking 3 of different breeds for the variety.
What 3 breeds would you recommend to me as a newbie chicken guy?
Art/AGGuy
Feel free to start a new thread asking about chicken breeds. Some of the forum members that provide great breed insight don't follow the coop threads.

It will depend a lot on what you want from them. Are you looking just for eggs? Are you looking for meat? Are you looking for friendly pets?

Another thing to consider is what your plans are for when they age. The sex link breeds are great at producing eggs, but often have shorter life spans. Will you be keeping older hens as their production slows? A variety of breeds can stagger their 'slow down' time and keep production more consistent.

When you add to the flock, you may need to add more than 1 at a time to isolate the newbies from the established flock. So it's great to not already be at your max capacity.

Feel free to start a new thread asking about chicken breeds. Some of the forum members that provide great breed insight don't follow the coop threads.

It will depend a lot on what you want from them. Are you looking just for eggs? Are you looking for meat? Are you looking for friendly pets?

Another thing to consider is what your plans are for when they age. The sex link breeds are great at producing eggs, but often have shorter life spans. Will you be keeping older hens as their production slows? A variety of breeds can stagger their 'slow down' time and keep production more consistent.

When you add to the flock, you may need to add more than 1 at a time to isolate the newbies from the established flock. So it's great to not already be at your max capacity.
Thanks for that
It validated some of my thinking and gave me encouragement to move a little slowly in acquisition and keep the breed variety up for consistent egg laying.
Art

Back
Top Bottom