another ? about using garlic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tgblldog70, May 24, 2012.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chirping

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I read through several of the posts about using garlic for insect/worm control but I have not seen an answer with a definitive yes for if it does make the eggs taste funny[​IMG]. I love garlic but I am curious if it just makes the egg taste like crap or not. My chickens do free range but with this upcoming summer of ticks and fleas being the worst ever [​IMG] I wanted to get a head start in protecting my flock. I plan on getting the DE for their coop will that deter insects if ingested? We have only been chicken owners for less than a year so we are still learning. I have started our dogs on the brewers yeast/garlic chews as well as their monthly dose of flea/tick drops. I really would apperciate any feed back from your experience with using garlic or any other herbs. Koren

2. Baymule

Baymule Crowing

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I haven't used garlic, but I mix crushed red pepper or cayenne in a couple of scrambled eggs and feed to the girls 1-2 times a month for worms. They are all healthy and lay well.The chickens can't taste the "hot".

3. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chirping

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Have you noticed a funny taste in the eggs you collect from using the peppers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: