WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
I observed the tell tale signs for over a week: A duck carefully covering the two eggs in her nest every morning before running out of the house with the rest of the flock
I removed the two eggs that were laid early in the morning every day, leaving only the one wooden egg…
Monday morning i noticed that she remained on her nest and ignored all calls to breakfast…
She sat on her nest the whole day, even ignored me when i came to collect the other duck's eggs and clean the duck house…

Until late afternoon, when i decided it would be too risky having more drakes hatched under a broody duck, went into the duck palace to remove her from the nest.

But I had done the math without the considering that duck's strong will !!!

When reaching out for her she started to cry like i have never heart a duck crying!
She knew what i wanted to do and she would do everything a duck can to stop me!
She stood over her clutch of eggs, crying, snapping at my hands, pushing me back!

And to me it felt like somebody just pushed a dagger into my heart, no it was a dull spoon, more painful than pointed dagger, and with every attempt to grab that duck the pain grew more intense until…

i caved in! :barnie:he:th

Apologized to the duck and offering her some rare meal-worms as a gift of peace. - She accepted the worms, so i think we have a treaty now?

For those Nay-Sayer's who claim »i would have shown that duck… [whatever]« watch the videos below, i recorded yesterday in the afternoon when i gave her two additional eggs and imagine her crying 100 times worse:
The first egg (green) is from one of Katharina's daughters and the second egg is from one of the White Layers, just curious what will hatch there.

Last edited:
You think you got broody business goin on...holy smokes the broody dust hit hard at my place.
7 on nests now and one clutch is hatching right now that I didn't expect for a few more days yet 🤦

Just a sample..
20200506_193610.jpg
20200506_191500.jpg
20200506_191508.jpg
20200506_191440.jpg
20200506_191434.jpg
20200506_192458.jpg

Momma Ducks name was decided today:
One of the neighbors came over to show the duck to his 5 year old granddaughter.
While she was feeding them with cat food, i told her the names of the ducks and how they earned those, Blanca was obvious and Alba means the same, just in Romanian. Explained that Nona came from Noname and the story about Katharina, my nurse from 18 years ago. Showed her a picture of Bazilla in my lap with her bumble-foot shoe and she would love to see Earthquack making Ducknamis in the pool

💥BAM! 💥

Something crazy came loudly quacking out of the duck house and started to run left, right, back and forth at ludicrous speed bouncing off the drakes, running over ducks like bowling pins…

"So", said the five year old girl, "that ducks name is Pinball ?"

I was flattened! She just stated the obvious: That duck behaves like a the ball in a pinball machine, so her name now official is Pinball Duck.

@shawluvsbirds you are so right! Broodiness is highly contagious: This morning Pinball decided to join the cat-food breakfast club, covered here nest carefully and then "rolled" out of the duck house, straight into the crowd grabbed a billfull of cat-kibbles out of my hand, ran over several ducks and bullied her way to the waterer drank and pooped… It was hilarious!
While she was busy i removed the three new unmarked eggs from her nest and collected all eggs from the neighboring nest into one of the other boxes - i forgot to take the egg basket with me,,,
About an hour later, Pinball was back on her nest, i decided to get the fresh eggs, got into the duck-burg and met this little dragon:

Never heart a duck hissing before!
Well i rescued all the eggs from her and left only the three wooden eggs in that box, if she really wants to sit, i will steal two of Pinballs eggs and put those under Pommes, so they will both have their ducklings at the same time and scan share the burden.
This evening Banca Duck started to run around like a boxer!
And i am seriously thinking about how to extend the duck house…

Good and bad news: The bad news first, two of Pinballs eggs have somehow vanished. I looked deep into her nest, there are no shell fragments, no trace.
The good news is that all the remaining six eggs looked like in the pictures below! I saw movement, pulsating blood vessels and in one case i am almost certain that a little bill was knocking at the shell…

Back
Top Bottom