Another bumblefoot question

schoolhouse_ducks

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2021
Hi, I have combed the discussion boards but I haven’t seen a post with a spot like this. My 10-month old Pekin has a spot like this in the middle of both her feet. My thought is that it’s bumblefoot but it’s not swollen, she doesn’t limp and there’s no black dot. I haven’t had ducks before so forgive me if this is obvious. If it is bumblefoot, recommendations for keeping a large strong duck still in epsom salt water and how to keep her from drinking it? I’ve managed a 10 min soak but she was very unhappy and drank some of the water.
FD565577-7FEE-4F69-AA85-0B75BAAC1265.jpeg

It looks like it could be an early stage infection. Can you get to a vet or get access for something like batril?
I do have a good vet not too far away, but I thought that it might be something I could tackle at home. I have been spraying daily with Vetericyn - she's very strong and stubborn and I've not had luck getting her feet wrapped to keep it clean. Even with help and a towel she pulls her legs up under her belly.

If that was my duck I would try a ten minute soak in warm epsom salt water and then pull the scab off. After it's off, spray with vetricin and fill with triple antibiotic ointment (not the kind with pain reliever. Then I would put a gauze pad over it and use one inch vet wrap to go criss cross around the foot to hold it in place and keep the gauze as dry as possible. Then keep her out of the water for a couple days and in a clean dry place - I know it's almost impossible in winter but if he bandage gets wet you'll need to redo it. Attaching photos of a bandage I did for a bumble on the pad of the foot - yours is more in the middle so might need to be different. Somehow my photos got out of order, but you get the idea.

If she's really impossible to hold down and do a bandage, you could try scrubbing the area with iodine and a toothbrush a couple times a day, letting it dry for 10 minutes afterwards. I've done this for minor bumbles before, but this one seems a little bigger.

IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG IMG_1412.JPG

If that was my duck I would try a ten minute soak in warm epsom salt water and then pull the scab off. After it's off, spray with vetricin and fill with triple antibiotic ointment (not the kind with pain reliever. Then I would put a gauze pad over it and use one inch vet wrap to go criss cross around the foot to hold it in place and keep the gauze as dry as possible. Then keep her out of the water for a couple days and in a clean dry place - I know it's almost impossible in winter but if he bandage gets wet you'll need to redo it. Attaching photos of a bandage I did for a bumble on the pad of the foot - yours is more in the middle so might need to be different. Somehow my photos got out of order, but you get the idea.

If she's really impossible to hold down and do a bandage, you could try scrubbing the area with iodine and a toothbrush a couple times a day, letting it dry for 10 minutes afterwards. I've done this for minor bumbles before, but this one seems a little bigger.

View attachment 2996173View attachment 2996174
View attachment 2996171View attachment 2996172
Thank you for this incredibly detailed response!! This is so helpful.

View attachment 2996173View attachment 2996174
View attachment 2996171View attachment 2996172
Good wrap. I always keep the back toe out too so it doesn't fall off.

I do have a good vet not too far away, but I thought that it might be something I could tackle at home. I have been spraying daily with Vetericyn - she's very strong and stubborn and I've not had luck getting her feet wrapped to keep it clean. Even with help and a towel she pulls her legs up under her belly.
Wrap her like a burrito in a towel. Then lay her across your lap on her back and put your arm/elbow over her chest, leaving her head to go back. Give her a couple of minutes to calm down and reassure her she's ok. This will give you an optimum position to work on her feet with both of your hands. I also like to drape the end of the towel over the foot I'm not working on so she can't kick or scratch me. When you're done, put her up on her feet in your lap and give her a few minutes to relax. I've tried all different positions and this works the best for me. I hope this helps you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom