Another cold-hardy question(s)

punkin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
East Tennessee
I have a couple of Blue Andalusians and found out that they are not cold hardy. I live in E. Tenn. and we sometimes get into the teens at night but really have very little snow:(. At what degree should I provide heat in the coop? Should I put it beside the roosts or below since warm air rises? Is a heat lamp OK or should I plan on something else?
hmm.png
I know winter is a ways off but I would like to be prepared.

How many chickens will be in the coop? THe more you have the warmer it stays in the coop. At that temperature i would not add heat unless it is really needed. I would just use a red 250 W bulb, but make sure it is super safe! Oh, how big is your coop, and are there any south facing windows?

Quote:
I have 5 now and would like to add 2 more soon. The coop interior is 4x6. The south side is against a shed with a window facing east.

Personally, if down into the teens is as cold as it ever gets, I wouldn't worry about adding heat, that isn't very cold. Adding heat is a bit of a pain, and people DO burn their coops down from heat lamps from time to time. Why add take the chance?

I turn a heat lamp on if it is supposed to be below negative 10.

I wouldn't worry about heat either.

It's those big straight combs that tend to frostbite. I've had a few birds get it. All roosters with big combs but that was sustained subzero temps, several days of it. I suspect the birds got cabin fever and strolled around anyway. My leghorn hens haven't gotten it.

Too many things in chicken coops catch fire. All it takes is a spark.

Quote:
Even though I've only had my girls less than a week, I would be devestated if I lost them.
hit.gif
Especially to something that was my own fault. Thanks for the advice!!

Back
Top Bottom