Another cold-hardy question(s)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by punkin, Jun 23, 2008.

1. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I have a couple of Blue Andalusians and found out that they are not cold hardy. I live in E. Tenn. and we sometimes get into the teens at night but really have very little snow:(. At what degree should I provide heat in the coop? Should I put it beside the roosts or below since warm air rises? Is a heat lamp OK or should I plan on something else?[​IMG] I know winter is a ways off but I would like to be prepared.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    How many chickens will be in the coop? THe more you have the warmer it stays in the coop. At that temperature i would not add heat unless it is really needed. I would just use a red 250 W bulb, but make sure it is super safe! Oh, how big is your coop, and are there any south facing windows?

3. punkin

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I have 5 now and would like to add 2 more soon. The coop interior is 4x6. The south side is against a shed with a window facing east.

4. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Personally, if down into the teens is as cold as it ever gets, I wouldn't worry about adding heat, that isn't very cold. Adding heat is a bit of a pain, and people DO burn their coops down from heat lamps from time to time. Why add take the chance?

I turn a heat lamp on if it is supposed to be below negative 10.

5. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I wouldn't worry about heat either.

It's those big straight combs that tend to frostbite. I've had a few birds get it. All roosters with big combs but that was sustained subzero temps, several days of it. I suspect the birds got cabin fever and strolled around anyway. My leghorn hens haven't gotten it.

Too many things in chicken coops catch fire. All it takes is a spark.

6. punkin

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Even though I've only had my girls less than a week, I would be devestated if I lost them.[​IMG] Especially to something that was my own fault. Thanks for the advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by