Another evil silkie with PROOF

Henrietta23

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Eastern CT
You absolutely can NOT miss those horns. Says it all!

Georgecloseup.jpg

That is the leftover genes of an outcrossing. Some color varieties of Silkies were created by crossing them with other breeds to introduce the color. Like buff. The buff color isn't naturally found in Silkies, so it was introduced by outcrossing with a buff colored SINGLE COMB breed.

Over time the breeders bred the offspring back to Silkies to retain the Silkie traits. However sometimes things like these horns pop up. The "horns" are points that would normally be found on a single comb bird.

However, with a particularly curious and mischevious bird, it could very well be satans influence...LOL

Hee hee... My MIL is obsessed with Silkies and wants me to get one for her (but it would live at our place). I wonder if she'd change her mind if she saw THAT.
big_smile.png

I like it, though. I bet that thing rules the roost.

Quote:
That's really cool! George is a mutt as far as color but we do know for sure that his father was a buff silkie. Mom was any of a number of different colors.
He is second fiddle to Oliver, his half brother, who has the same Buff Daddy (yes, that pun was intentional) but Oliver's momma was a buttercup. They have both challenged and attacked me since growing up. I had a talk with George and reminded him that if I hadn't aided him in zipping out of his shell he never would have hatched. And speaking of which, he hatched in my HAND! And he dares to attack me????? Grrrrr..... We have an understanding now. I don't turn my back to him if he's acting suspicious. I run him off and he finds something else to do. He will however attack Oliver if Oliver is acting like he's thinking of attacking me. They are so weird.

Quote:
Buffs are the ABSOLUTE WORST for having horns. I'm raising a quint now, 3 silkies and 2 showgirls, all in the buff variety, and my one cockeral has two "points." Just little bumps at this point, but they shouldn't get any bigger. Selective breeding can get rid of the gene, although it doesn't how many generations you breed, it can still pop up later.

But at least you know where the horns came from now.... the "buff" men in the family.

Back
Top Bottom