ANOTHER First Egg

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
Was awoken by the chicken song this morning. Our hens are just over 5 months old. One RIR is building her nest in the nest box, but hasn't laid yet. My Delaware, I think was taken by surprise. I'm not sure where she layed it, but it broke and she has yolk all over her chest and tummy feathers. I think it was up on the shelf outside the nest boxes, because there was a wet spot there, but no sign of shell? Did she eat it? I'M the one who's supposed to eat them!!!!

We're all so excited!

I bet if you look around you will find a membrane from a soft (shelless) egg. Mine all laid a couple of those at first.

Thank you, that might be it. I couldn't find any shell, but when I cleaned off the shelf, there was definitely something stuck in the hay. I just thought is was poop. I checked them this AM and no eggs from either of the ones who were singing away and exhibiting nesting behaviour all day yesterday. Is that normal? I'm a total newbie at this egg-laying thing.....

When they first start laying everything is, or can be, irregular. Huge double hookers, tiny egg, eggs with no shell, odd shapes and wrinkles, and days off between eggs. They will even out and be fine. No worries.

Thanks again. Total newbie to this stuff. Yesterday the RIR and Delaware were singing away. Obviously the Delaware had a weird egg, probably shelless judging from the mess on her feathers. The RIR was building a nest in the nest box and spending a lot of time in there. Later in the day all the kerfuffle stopped. I checked this AM to see if anything had happened, and nothing. They all just came running out of the coop when I opened the door like normal. BUT....the RIR's comb looks very pale all of a sudden. I noticed it seemed a little pale yesterday, but it was very noticeable today. I also found this melted chocolate kind of poop a couple of times yesterday. I looked it up and it's supposed to be cecal poop? But I've never seen it before. So now I am totally worried. She's eating and drinking just fine. Lot's of energy...nothing abnormal.

Having never done this before, I am totally clueless. I also have a hen, RIR, in the house because of an injury. Her comb and wattles are BRIGHT red. She was at the vet yesterday and no mites or anything. Her poop is totally normal.

Bottom line should any of this set off any red lights?????

Back
Top Bottom