Another goes broody days before hatch...

I used to have silkies that went broody in pairs and raised the whole bunch together. Then when I got a trio of Sussex hens, they heard the chicks hatch on their first day and somehow convinced about 15 chicks that they were the new mamas! So the chicks abandoned the silkies and followed the Sussex around.

IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG

I used to have silkies that went broody in pairs and raised the whole bunch together. Then when I got a trio of Sussex hens, they heard the chicks hatch on their first day and somehow convinced about 15 chicks that they were the new mamas! So the chicks abandoned the silkies and followed the Sussex around.
Wow!!! I hope I have a cooperative coop!! That's a pretty cool experience! Thanks for sharing!!

Cute little setup you have there! Good luck with them all!

And while we're on the subject, I have a chocolate Orpington that has been sitting for 17 days (her second round this year!) today i come home to find another hen in the box with her, and had basically rooted her out. I thought for sure i was going to get by without moving her! I booted the second one out and she stayed out, so I'll see where we stand tomorrow. :barnie

Cute little setup you have there! Good luck with them all!

And while we're on the subject, I have a chocolate Orpington that has been sitting for 17 days (her second round this year!) today i come home to find another hen in the box with her, and had basically rooted her out. I thought for sure i was going to get by without moving her! I booted the second one out and she stayed out, so I'll see where we stand tomorrow. :barnie
Ouuuu love chocolate orps!!! So this is her second batch of chicks this year?? Busy momma!! :thumbsup Yay, this ahhhhhnatural chick hatching is mentally exhausting :ththis may not be something I get into again any time soon.

Keep me posted on what you end up doing with her. That is how it all started with my Sussex and Wyandotte :barnie
I wish I could have moved the Wyandotte in the beginning. I think I'd be much less stressed about things.

I went ahead and moved her last night while it was dark. Had the same thing happen back in March. Same hens, first the chocolate, then the black, then the mauve. So the chocolate is on round 2, black trying for round 2, hopefully the mauve doesn't want to do it again. :rolleyes:
It's nice to let them raise the babies, but yes it has its stresses!! :)
WP_20170422_08_51_43_Pro_LI.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience!! I'm going To move my Sussex tonight. I did get her some eggs today but they were just a few dollars so I'm not too invested if she decides to give up! This way my momma can hopefully hatch in some peace!!

I really wish I could move my Wyandotte but she protested heavily when I tried early on. I didn't want her to break her brood so I just have her what she wanted. I have a spot set up for her and the chicks when they arrive because where she is isn't good for the chicks. Do you think it's worth trying again tonight to move her? I've read a few threads on here that say they've had luck later in on their sit because momma knows they're coming? Any experience with that?

I always wait until after they hatch before I move them, otherwise the momma freaks out and ignores the eggs and keeps trying to go back to the other spot.

IMG_1434.JPG
Well I messed up a lot on this first hatch, but happy to report that one has hatched. We will see about the remaining three!! Today is her due date.

Newb mistakes....
Only purchased 6 hatching eggs.
Let her stay in the nesting box with the other chickens, lost 1 egg.
Tried to move her at dusk to a separate nesting area, she refused and had to move her back. Not dark enough.
Didn't candle at all.
Finally successfully moved her to her own brooder box a week before hatch, this time it was at night, should have done it sooner.
3 days before hatch, one egg exploded or was eaten :hitjust found a piece of the shell.
Only 4 eggs left.

So proud of this mama that in spite of all my first timer f ups she has what she's wanted to months!!! You go mama. You've earned a special place in this flock and in my heart!!:thumbsup:yesss::celebrate

Back
Top Bottom