ANOTHER HAWK ATTACK!!! I'm getting a dog, but is this the right breed?

Another vote for Great Pyrs here. We were losing a chicken to hawks every couple of weeks until we got these pups in December:

3483139704_e81cb9060c.jpg

We haven't lost a chicken since. They sleep right outside the coop door every night, and if it's rainy and I leave the coop open, they sleep IN the doorway. I don't worry about the chickens at all with these guys around.
smile.png

If you want to get a certain type of pet go to your local pound and if they don't have it to your humane society then to your local no kill shelter (if you have one) they have all kinds of dongs and a lot of them are pure breeds to so you can have your choice and they almost always have puppies and they need a good home.

Last edited:
Quote:
Great Pyrs have been bred for hundreds or thousands of years to protect flocks. It's instinct for them. They grew up around chickens, and just "know" to protect them. The breed is very independent, and is good at making decisions about potential threats without any input from humans
smile.png

Our Pyrs don't let anything into the chicken yard. They even chase off songbirds and doves trying to get at the feed.

Caveat: Young Great Pyrs can kill chickens, not by attacking them but by trying to play with them. You need to be watchful and quickly correct them when they do it. They're pretty fast learners about things like that. They also tend to be bark-y, because it's their first warning against predators.

I am sorry but all the corgis I have seen will attack and eat chickens. I have not seen one that would "protect" them. This is just my view as a farrier who have visited countless farms over the last 40+ years.

Do not get any herding type dog! Unless you already know how to do obedience with a non herding dog it will be a disaster. The dog will end up with a miserable life in a kennel or on a chain and your birds will be no better off.
hit.gif

I have seen it far too many times. In fact I have never seen it work for anyone...
sad.png

Most dogs want to be with thier people who they consider their pack. At best a flock of chickens may be ignored but not protected. Just think about the dogs working sheep. They are doing what thier person asks not making friends with the sheep.

I went with a breed that free ranges well. I may add a guinea or three yet.

If you go with a dog the great Prys were at least bred to be happier with other critters. We do have one that is unhappy at it's home and travels 11 miles here to us ever other month or so.

farrier! :

I am sorry but all the corgis I have seen will attack and eat chickens. I have not seen one that would "protect" them. This is just my view as a farrier who have visited countless farms over the last 40+ years.

Do not get any herding type dog! Unless you already know how to do obedience with a non herding dog it will be a disaster. The dog will end up with a miserable life in a kennel or on a chain and your birds will be no better off.
hit.gif

I have seen it far too many times. In fact I have never seen it work for anyone...
sad.png

Most dogs want to be with thier people who they consider their pack. At best a flock of chickens may be ignored but not protected. Just think about the dogs working sheep. They are doing what thier person asks not making friends with the sheep.

I went with a breed that free ranges well. I may add a guinea or three yet.

If you go with a dog the great Prys were at least bred to be happier with other critters. We do have one that is unhappy at it's home and travels 11 miles here to us ever other month or so.

I'm thinking about getting some guineas....

Everyone seems to recommend them.

As for the Welsh Corgi, I'm still buying (or adopting) that breed and I'll see if it works out. If not, he'll just say in my house.​

I would advise against a herding dog. A herding breed with a strong eye would probably go nuts with chickens and may harm chicks. Chickens don't like to be herded. I would either keep your birds in a enclosed area. I would opt for a roo or maybe guinea fowl. These birds are very watchful. I have seen a roo sound the alarm when a turkey vulture flew overhead. These birds headed for the coop stat! I would think birds would have a better vision for hawks and etc than dogs. Most protection dogs don't look upward constantly for birds of prey. I would assume most birds of prey would be lerry of a dog nearby to attack.

Last edited:
My corgi is a great help around here. She is my constant companion, so doesn't patrol without my presence. Don't underestimate them due to their size.

She will give chase to the big birds and delights in seeing them fly off. We have taught her to 'put the geese in the pond (along with the ducks), to discourage them from coming to the house area. She immediately quits once they are in the pond and looks for further instruction.

She occasionally gives chase to a chicken, but will quit when told to. She helps move the goats (and plays with them). She is respectful of the horses (and loves to interact with them).

We have ravens and our coop is in a wooded area and so far we haven't had much problem with hawks. We also live very rural and the hawks have a lot of other targets besides my chickens. My in-laws, who live in a more suburban, have a much greater hawk problem and I think it stems from more limited opportunity for the birds.

Anyway, shop for a reputable breeder and you'll not go wrong with a corgi. They are really great companions.

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

If you truly want to protect your chickens from flying preditors that are getting a nice meal at your place, you need to put in a covered run and use it.

You are your pet's best advocate.

This is so correct. Poultry are food animals and they are very low on the chain. They basically need to be protected... They need an enclosed, covered run. No swooping! Once the word is out you have free dinner everyone will come and join in on the buffet. 20 chicks ?? What age were they?
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom