Another hawk question...

Gtstricky

In the Brooder
May 17, 2020
Near Philly, PA
I have 17 pullets (7 weeks). My coop and run are partially under a large tree. I let them free range during the day. I have an office window that looks out on the area.
Today I saw a large shadow move across the coop and looked out to see a fairly large hawk fly over and land on a branch a few trees away (back left tree in picture).

I went out to gather the ladies. I could tell they were spooked which was good. About 7 were in the run and the others and gathered together at the base of the large tree. I had some issues trying to get them
back into the run because they were scared plus they seem to not always know where the door is.

My question is... does the tree provide protection? Do hawks want open space to make a kill?
image.jpg

I have 17 pullets (7 weeks). My coop and run are partially under a large tree. I let them free range during the day. I have an office window that looks out on the area.
Today I saw a large shadow move across the coop and looked out to see a fairly large hawk fly over and land on a branch a few trees away (back left tree in picture).

I went out to gather the ladies. I could tell they were spooked which was good. About 7 were in the run and the others and gathered together at the base of the large tree. I had some issues trying to get them
back into the run because they were scared plus they seem to not always know where the door is.

My question is... does the tree provide protection? Do hawks want open space to make a kill?
Yes. A tree does provide some protection from a hawk as it makes it harder for the hawk to dive a get a bird. The tree also makes it harder for the hawk to see from above. A good rooster earns his keep in a free ranging flock by sounding a warning call to hide.

It depends on what kind of hawk it is. Red-tailed hawks and other large hawks do need space and prefer to hunt in the open preferring mammals (but could take a chicken easily). Smaller hawks like the cooper's, are made for hunting in the trees. They have shorter wider wings to slip between the branches and make quick turns. I have watched them in the trees by my house. Even smaller hawks like the sharp-shinned, would hunt through the trees but would likely only be able to take chicks or small chickens. The broad-winged hawk is another forest hawk that will perch on a branch and pounce on smaller prey within the woods.

You have a lot of open space there, so it could be either kind of hawk.

Back
Top Bottom