Another Humidity Question :)

valreegrl

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
I am using a still air LG that has been doing awesome throughout this hatch.
However, I went into lockdown night before last, and I can't keep the humidity up!

For the first 18 days the temp was 99.5 at the bottom of the eggs and 101.5-102 at the top of the eggs with 47-50% humidity flux.
That was with one plug in and the other plug just resting on top.

Last night I added very warm water plus two washcloths in and took the plugs out. Humidity went up to 80% and all seemed well.
But an hour later, it was at 65% and steady. Last night it was down to 61% so I syringed hot water to the wash clothes and it came back up
again but not as high, about 70% or so.
And this morning it was back down again to 60%.

Is this normal? I know the LG is finicky and I think I will move on to something better next year. But really....do I need to guard this thing every hour?
The pans are full in the bottom also.

Quote:
I use an unconventional method to keep up the moisture. Either a diaper, overnight feminine pad, adult incontinence pad, etc. Just cut it to the size you need then soak it in water before adding to your incubator...I find that it holds more moisture than anything else I have ever tried. Love that they are disposable afterwards. Good luck with your hatch!

P.S. You can buy humidity pads for incubators...I see them on ebay for 5 bucks a pad plus shipping...if you would rather go that route.

Last edited:
Both ideas very good. But can I open to add more sponges/pads in or should I just endure?

Could I have hubby mist while I open quickly?

Pricefamilyfarms: If your sponges are in the corners, how are you adding more water to them without opening?

Could use all the tricks I can get!

I soaked the sponges and wrang them out just a little...the moisture lasted all thru hatching. If they do start to dry out you can just pop the corner open for a second, pull the sponges out one by one and re wet them

I also left both of the red plugs out thru incubtion and lockdown for better airflow

What day are you on right now? If you are quick about opening and closing the top...I do not see the harm in either putting in an additional pad or adding some water...the whole idea with the humidity is keeping the inner membrane moist and easy for chick to get out of.
I used to use aquarium airline tubing threaded down to the pad on the bottom and I would use my turkey injector sans needle to add water...LOL Found that to be just a little too much work. I still have the foam incubators but use cabinet incubator and hatcher now; and yes I do use the weird pads to keep up the humidity.
wink.png

I know there are holes in the bottom of the LG. Tape them up on the bottom. Spread a bunch of paper towels, pad, and sponges all under the wire. Put a hole on the bottom tray and when the humidity is low, squirt water in the botttom threw the hole. Hope that helped!
smile.png

I have a pip! And 3 rocking! And the pip is cheeping up a storm
smile.png

Thanks for the suggestions....I soaked two sponges in hot water and quickly put them in the bator. Brought the humidity up to 80% and then came down to 72% and steady. Although I did have to give them a quick quirt of hot water just a short while ago because it came back down to 66%.

I can't believe it! I am so "EGGcited!"

Quote:
LG's are not known for being great humidity holders. Glad you have some action going on...makes it all worth it when those cute little fuzzy butts make it out. Usually when they start hatching your temp and humidity will spike a bit...normal and you should not be alarmed. Just keep your humidity up so the membranes do not dry out. CONGRATS!!!!!

You will need to post pictures, you do know that, right?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom