Another issue with my Buff orp

You should probably add padding under your wrap as vet wrap alone can do more harm than good. Here is a peacock that I wrapped:

If I had to do it again I would not use the beige tape at the top of the bandage.

-Kathy

This video show how to wrap an injured horse leg, but the same applies to all other animals... padding is needed.
http://www.thehorse.com/videos/30327/how-to-bandage-a-horses-leg-with-vetrap

-Kathy

Okay thanks for that info. I'll add the padding tomorrow.

I got some padding put under Gracie's foot. I also have her confined so she is strictly resting. I let her out for a tiny bit each day. She's very perky and eating and drinking. She's just still in a good deal of pain and doesn't enjoy walking but will do it if she has to.

Today, when we took the wrap off, we found an abrasion on her foot that had a scab covering it. We soaked her feet in warm water with epsom water.

Any other suggestions now?

Hey everyone!

One of my 3 year old buff orp hens has injured herself yet again. She has always been on the weaker/clumsy side. A couple years ago she got frostbite in her left foot real bad. She recovered but has always had a little limp. Just last week, she fell off a high roost and injured that same leg again. It's been almost 10 days and she still can't walk without stumbling. She can stand but won't put her full weight on her one leg. After talking with the member @TwoCrows , it sounds like her foot joint is what's injured. (Nothing's broken.) It was swelling and hot. I soaked her feet in ice cold water for a couple days. I've made sure she is confined so she doesn't overdo/re-injure herself. This afternoon, I took the flock some treats and she stood up on her own. She took a couple steps but soon collapsed again. When she walks, she puffs up like a broody hen would. The good news is, the swelling has gone down and at least she can hobble around. Is there anything else I can do for her?? I'm praying she doesn't go lame for the rest of her days.

Any insight or advice is appreciated!
smile.png

I really recommend you ask a farm vet about this so you can get a good answer right away.

Back
Top Bottom