1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another "let's play roo or hen"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marytoast, Feb 16, 2009.

1. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    These are ameracaunas. I think I may have EE's too. I would love some input on the sex of these chicks. They May still be too young to tell. [​IMG] My luck they are all roos. 2 1/2 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the fuzzy pics.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    How old are they? They seem a bit too young, but from what I can tell, they all look like pullets so far (no red combs)!

P.S- love your avatar! [​IMG]

3. Number 1 looks like a Roo to me, not sure why, just something screams ROO to me when I look at it.
    The rest look like pullets right now, but I too think they are too young to tell quite yet...

4. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Me too - the comb looks very thick and chunky, like my EE males had when they were tiny.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    1,2,3,8 look like roos to me [​IMG]
    Unless they came from a breeder (not a hatchery) then they are EE's.
    Post pics in a few weeks and we will be able to tell better [​IMG]

6. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    wow, 1, 4 and 8 look like my chickie babes in the brooder right now. I agree that 1 looks like a roo, but the others are either pullets or too soon to tell.

7. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I hatched them from eggs purchased on e-bay and craigs list. They all came from blue and blue-green eggs. They were advertised as ameracaunas but who whould know for sure unless I saw the parents. Oh well. My goal is to have a beautiful flock and beautiful eggs. [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the replies!

8. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I think the first and last pictures look like roos. Can't tell about the rest! The first one has a bigger comb at a young age, and the last one seems to have a roo stance/body shape to me.

Regardless, they are all cute!

9. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:I TOtALLY AGREE!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by