another mistake?

rhaj

Songster
13 Years
May 30, 2010
NE'ern Connecticut
Along with too high humidity caused from not removing the vent plugs
sad.png
I just read that the egg was supposed to be large end up...? I just put he egg in there (and turned it), but it's laying on its side. Was I supposed to put it IN something that would keep the large end up?

...and if baby IS in the wrong end when it tries to hatch, is there anything to do to help it?

If they're in an automatic turner...small end down. If you're turning by hand, they would be lying on their sides.

(Sorry Matt...I think we posted at the same time)

Last edited:
Some people without automatic egg turners will use egg cartons so that they can set the eggs with the large end up. "Turning" is done by propping one side of the carton up or the other up. One reason to do this is when receiving shipped eggs with loose air cells. It helps to stabilize them. Eggs are supposed to be set with the large end up but they hatch just fine laying on their sides. I have gotten 100% hatch rates that way. No need to set them large end up if you are turning by hand.

makes you wonder how a chicken manages to keep them large end up for 21 days
wink.png
big_smile.png
i must have lazy hens as mine seem to lay them on there side:he

Last edited:
On their side is fine. It will naturally lie with the small end slightly lower at this point anyway. The whole pointy-end-down advice is for those using cartons or turners so that they don't put it in completely upside down! I incubate eggs on their sides and transfer to a carton for hatching. I cut the bottoms out so it's more a series of rings for the eggs, I find it helps with space for the chick to zip and rock the egg a little, and with air flow. I got lazy with my last lot and just punched holes in the bottoms of the cartons and didn't have as good a hatch rate as cutting out the bottoms. I also tried putting 5 lying down and only got three hatched. So, cartonsa ll the way for me from now on!

Back
Top Bottom