Another - My Chicken Laid a Boiled Egg - mystery post

Loved the experiment, and can’t wait to see what happens with egg #2! It’s only 102 F here, but I might recreate this experiment next 110+ heat wave we get. You know, for science.

I can totally see how an egg can cook in the shell in a hot environment. Our ducks used to lay eggs inside a metal drum. You could hear them exploding in the heat. The whites did appear to be partially set.
Oof, egg bomb for the lose.

And I like to eat duck eggs sooo much 😟

Hey Skatchkins-- I had the same thing happen to me with one of our eggs. No compost pile, and I collect eggs every evening, and refrigerate same evening. It got up to 115 degrees f (we live South of you a few miles, In Gilbert, AZ). We have a lovely chicken mud area, misters going, multiple fans, and shaded aviary. Our egg looked just like yours, but maybe just a little bit less "cooked" (not much less tho). I have never seen this happen before. I didn't know anyone else had had this happen, so I didn't take a photo before tossing the coddled creation. I can't wait for fall.

I searched Ms. Google and the mystery appears to have been posted and head scratched on BackyardChickens previously.

View attachment 3575786

How the what-why did my chicken lay a boiled egg?

Scene:
(law-and-order sound)
Morning egg eating time. I choose two eggs off the end of the spiral counter display, crack one over the butter simmer- it plops, and I ewwwwww.
Next egg, same shellish thing. I start spinning eggs willy-nilly thinking the wife mixed up some boilys, but she enters and adamantly denies. The eggs are two different colors, so definitely different chickens.

The wife conveniently starts to remember recently finding a couple strays off coop-campus, and attests to verifying the color of the allegedly errant drops.

Now, this is the State of Arizona, and while rampant newsperson conjecture speculates temperatures "hot enough to boil an egg on a politician's face," 112 F'ing degrees is actually not sizzilly enough to do such a thing. However, it should now be noted that the secret stash was situated upon scattered straw laying over one open-air, compost pile, a method of sorts that could cause the ambient air above and possibly said normally temperate eggs to reach plus 150 F'ing degrees, the very condition that the eggs in question could presumably soft boil, and in all truthful terms, the known temperature at which the aforementioned politician's pants do indeed catch fire.

Thank you fellow AZ folks! Glad we were able to shed our God forsaken blinding light on this Phenomena for others. I went ahead and cracked the other test subject today. Sadly I still wasn't able to replicate the very first results as climatically. But I promised the showing, so it's time to publish the softer side of this story.
Not quite worth the slo-mo:
20230723_140131.jpg

That's all I got, fyolks (I'm so sorry). Bring on any and all other experiments. This has been fun.

Thank you fellow AZ folks! Glad we were able to shed our God forsaken blinding light on this Phenomena for others. I went ahead and cracked the other test subject today. Sadly I still wasn't able to replicate the very first results as climatically. But I promised the showing, so it's time to publish the softer side of this story.
Not quite worth the slo-mo:
View attachment 3586797

That's all I got, fyolks (I'm so sorry). Bring on any and all other experiments. This has been fun.
No apologies necessary. You’ve done an admirable job. And put in much more time and effort than we clingers on deserve!

Thanks again for a great thread!

Back
Top Bottom