Another question about LG incubator and humidity AND tightness of lid

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Oct 1, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    So.....I normally hand turn my eggs, but given my last 3 failed hatches, I decided to place them in cartons, do a dry hatch, and place a book under the bator to turn without opening. My humidity is 16, on day 1and a half. I added some water. What is the humidity that I'm aiming for with a dry hatch again? Also, we have a woodstove in the opposite end of the room,perhaps 25 feet away. Is that going to be a factor? Maybe I'll just have smoked chicks when they hopefully hatch.
    I forgot, the main purpose of this question is that now that the bator is at a slant, the lid doesn't seem airtight at all. I assume it's normal, and I never noticed before because it was flat on the counter? The temp is steady at 100.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Do not let it go below 25%

3. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I also burn wood and I notice my house is way dryer when I do. Is it possible to move it into another room? I had to put a wash rag in mine to increase humidity. Mine is staying around 45-50 for a few days..when it goes down I put more water in. I think you will have to either add more water more often or maybe you could try using sponges in there to up the humidity to what you need.

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    If you have an LG, try adding a thin strip of weather striping to the bottom of the lip of the bator. You can add a bowl of water with a sponge in it, to increase humidity.

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:Add sponges to get the humidity up. You will have to check them daily. This will also prevent the water from flowing out of the water channels.

With the lid, I just put something on top to weight it down a bit. It may not be tight in regards to fit but the weight allows for the "lips" along the top and bottom to stay in contact with each other. This creates a bit of a seal. Over time, getting thin weatherstripping (the cheap stuff with the stickon back) and putting it on lid edge can help seal. Don't put it on the bottom lip tho cause in cleanup and disinfecting, that gets considerably wetter than the lid and can cause the glue on the stripping to stop working.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Wow that is a good idea, Is that lip or lid though, where the top and bottom rest on one another. My bator is a little older and losses humidity and I think I will try that but I want to be sure where to put it.
    Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by