Another random question

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
My girls used to lay dark brown eggs. I have noticed they are light and smaller. They are almost 1yr. Are they getting enough vitamins? Worms? They eat 16 layer feed eggs once a week and veggie scraps

Higher producing hens especially will have less pigment to deposit on each egg shell as their season progresses, it's normal. And egg size may vary a bit, even day to day.
Layer feed is designed for leghorn type birds in confinement, with no other foods offered. It's perfectly balanced for those birds, and easy to unbalance when anything else is added, and for bigger breed types.
Some of us do feed a higher protein diet, usually an all flock diet that's 18% or 20% protein, with oyster shell in a separate dish. Then anything in addition is less likely to cause deficiencies, very helpful. And extras should be a small part of their diet, usually described as no more that 10%.
Also, make sure each bag of feed is fresh! I use mine up within two months of the mill date on each bag. Always. Some vitamins don't last a long time, and stores will sell older feed often.
Mary

I assumed oyster shells and crushed egg shells offered in feeders would suffice. They free range daily a few hours do you think I should boost to a all flock? I didn't want to over do it and cause problems.

Our flock includes birds of all ages, actively laying and not, and males, so Purina's Flock Raiser works for everyone all year. Oyster shell on the side, for actively laying hens. Then a little bit of scratch, and veggies, and whatever they find outside, are treats.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom