Another Rooster with a broken beak.

ChickensRsmart

Songster
Aug 25, 2021
I am now hoping my little bantam rooster will be ok. He just broke his beak - I didn't see it happen - but it must have happened sometime between today and last night. The upper beak is cracked all the way around, but it's still attached. I don't know how it happened but it probably has something to do with the new older hen I have in an adjacent run.
Should I be expecting the broken piece to fall off soon? I am bringing him in tonight - to make sure he eats something...he can still eat, but he's obviously touchy about it - being careful for the first time in his bird life!

Attachments

• IMG00117.jpg
    IMG00117.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG00118.jpg
    IMG00118.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG00119.jpg
    IMG00119.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 10
I've never tried to repair one, just let them either heal up or fall off and grow back. If a break or tear is severe, then I may provide wet feed for a couple of days. I don't believe I've ever separated a bird for a broken or torn beak.

Repair instructions in the link below.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/repairing-chickens-broken-beak/

Thanks again WR.

I imagine it depends on how deep the crack in the beak is - in terms of whether it will heal or fall off?

I brought him tonight mainly to get him to eat - he's a light eater and in the past I've fattened him up some by bringing him in at night - to eat by a lamp. It worked again tonight - he had a pretty much empty crop (he does that a lot - even without a broken beak). Tonight he ate quite a lot for a little rooster - and his beak hasn't fallen off yet. lol. I figure if a new one is growing underneath the broken one, then maybe he can use the broken one until it falls off...then the new one will be longer...Of course, I don't have a clue if that's going to be the case - but I'm hoping so.

Back
Top Bottom