Another Sensless Act....

It was a full moon, clear and bright.
I heard the motor roaring and the speed not right.
Then it happen in the distance it came.
The screech of tires and note of fame.

It was aweful, it was now so near
That rubber on the road, the loss of the ability to steer..
Then it happened, a large and mighty sound.
And I heard a voice say, YOU MISSED THE HOUND !

Then as quick as it came, the roar became mute.
I sat there in wonder, my pardnor too, she is cute.
Better go down there, to the end of the drive.
Was the words that I heard next, before the cops do arrive.

At the end of the driveway was a torturous sight.
I said to myself, someones is in for a fight.
For there on the ground lay my vessel for mail.
The post and the box seperate, how they did sail.

All I could think of is the letters and how i should vent.
Then I realized that there sure would be a DENT !!

So you see, I may have put my vessel back to anew.
As I visioned how fast that car must have flew.
But now i watch most every day.
For a hick with a car with a dent just to say.

You may have run my vessel for mail down.
But, you paid for it with that dent, you clown !!
So although it cost me a few screws and an hour in half.
I am sure it cost you the price of a calf.

The end.

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

Seeing as we're on to mailbox funnies here.... we had some major snow here in North GA over the winter, and our neighbor was outside doing donuts on his 4wheeler in the road. The next thing I know, he's at our door, all sheepish, apologizing for our mailbox..... it's laying in the ditch next to the driveway. I graciously accepted his apology and his offer to re-post the box the next day.

So he comes over the following day to fix it and he's apologizing again to DH, saying he didn't understand it, didn't think he'd hit it that hard, just clipped it a bit with his leg as he went past, and the thing fell right over.... he's so apologetic and embarassed, and going out of his way to fix the crapped out old box. DH looks at him, then at me, and says "But the mailbox has been damaged for months! The wife backed into it in the truck and then drove over it, and tied it back to the post with string...."
lol.png

The look on our neighbor's face was priceless. That man is always yanking my chain, it was nice to get revenge for once!!
big_smile.png

Drive down any street around here and you will see at least one mailbox with a stone wall built next to it.

Streetball 2010
Take 1 teenager with access to a vehicle - add 2 or three bored friends -

after about 5 minutes stupid takes over

Top that off with a baseball bat and you have a new game.

Streetball 1970
Take 1 teenager with access to a vehicle - add 2 or three bored friends
after about 5 minutes get bored with each other and go find more friends

Actually go and play baseball

I don't get it - what went so horribly wrong

My boys would not dream of using their bats to hit boxes with them! Of course, they are pre-teens right now, but they are so in to baseball, they would consider that almost sacrilegious!
lol.png

Not to mention what mama would do to them if she found out they were messing with mail boxes!
smack.gif

You know, I know its wrong. And I don't condone it or encourage it. But sometimes, when we get old, we forget the stupidity of youth. That is why God gives us teenagers. I do like a lot of the ideas on here, but I also feel I have to say it- while it IS wrong, there are so many other terrible things these kids could be doing. I would bust my son up if I caught him whacking mail boxes, but in the great scheme of life, if he is wacking mail boxes instead of joining a gang, doing drugs, drinking and driving or drag racing, then I am a lucky parent. My son is 15. My father is 70 next week. He was one of 6 boys. The stories those old men tell are not very different from my son and his buddies today. The whacking of the mail box and the bb target practice with the street signs is as old as mailboxes and street signs. And again, if my son gets caught doing it he better hope the law gets him before I do, but I would rather a teenage whack my mailbox then commit a home invasion, or get drunk and run me over.

All in all though, most young men, teenagers specifcally, go through a stupid stage. Dumb stupid stage. My father did. My brothers did. My husband did. All turned out to be good, law abiding, respectful citizens. And all destroyed and damaged something on the way there. Being the only girl around growing up I still cannot imagine doing what those guys did. And for the first time last night my son asked to "hang" with a buddy that has a brand new license. Oh mercy, the fear that went through my head!!! Hate to sound so cliche, but boys will be boys. And I bet most of those mail box crushers are good boys, hard workers, christian, dependable and respectful. Its just that stupid takes over when they get together. That's where all country songs come from- stupid that takes over the young man's brain.

Our mailbox kept getting whacked until we got a Rubbermaid and attached it atop a sawed off old telephone pole. It did end up with tennis shoe tread prints on top of it but remained there for a decade or more until some "bored" someone put a couple of bullet holes through it.
The neatest thing about the bullet holes was, if you lined them up with the entry and exit holes, you could see exactly from who's house the bullets came from.
Soon after, the JD went off to college and we never have had a problem since!

Quote:
No..and i really hate to disagree with you...
I think that people/kids that smash mail boxes are nothing but punks with no remorse or care for other peoples property. Sorry... its someones elses property. How rude and disrespectful!! It has nothing to do with age... it has everything to do with a serious lack of morals. IMO...
I dont think its cute or funny in the least to destroy other peoples property... sorry. What if i cant afford to buy another mail box? What if the person had made their own mail box and was really proud of it? It has nothing to do with the value of the box..its the point of destroying property. Little dirt bags...

Not to mention the fact that it becomes "government property" and they can get in some serious trouble if caught.

Just b/c "boys will be boys", doesn't make it okay for them to be idiots causing harm to other people and/or their stuff. Yes, it could be worse, but it could be better, too.

My neighbors across the street have clipped ours... least I think it was them given the way it was tilted... angle indicated that... of course at our last house we lived across the street from my uncle... love the man but he's nuts... he did the same thing... but worse... of course that was AFTER he'd already put the poor thing in ICU with a bottle rocket... *sigh* if only it was just the teens that pulled stupid stunts....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom