Another Solar Power Thread

Dennis52

Chirping
Oct 18, 2015
Cape Cod
First post and nice to be here,
I'm about halfway through building my coop. When BYC lets me I'll start page showing the construction.
I've ordered a 50 Watt Solar panel with controller. I can run both the red LED lights in the coop and the pop door with the controller. I'm going to add a converter to the 12 Volt Batter to have a plug for a submersible (aquarium) heater in the water system along with a submersible water pump to move water through the lines in cold weather.
My question - Does this make sense? To me adding up the power requirements won't max the 50 Watt panel especially when the battery is full in the first place. Any input would be more than welcome.
Thanks,
DG

Sounds good to me. I know nothing about solar and will enjoy following this thread, can't wait until you can post pics to help explain the process.

Is it possible to also include price and where you bought it? I know price might vary, but I want to see if it is feasible or not for me. Thanks

I bought the panel in a kit form on EBay for $107.00. All I need to add is a power converter but that can wait until fall. And a battery.

First post and nice to be here,
I'm about halfway through building my coop. When BYC lets me I'll start page showing the construction.
I've ordered a 50 Watt Solar panel with controller. I can run both the red LED lights in the coop and the pop door with the controller. I'm going to add a converter to the 12 Volt Batter to have a plug for a submersible (aquarium) heater in the water system along with a submersible water pump to move water through the lines in cold weather.
My question - Does this make sense? To me adding up the power requirements won't max the 50 Watt panel especially when the battery is full in the first place. Any input would be more than welcome.
Thanks,
DG

50 Watts @ 12 VDC should give you around 4A (ideal) to the battery. So a basic trickle charge. As long as the converter, pump, lights and heater don't draw more then the storage and charge rate you should be good.

Thank you! My son is Master Electrician but hasn't dealt with Solar and tends to agree with everything I say.
Practical knowledge is terrific.

Back
Top Bottom