Another urban homesteader in PDX

G’Day from down under Bee :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Thank you! I'm looking forward to posting pics once the babies arrive :)

Hello and welcome to Backyard Chickens!!:welcome. So happy you joined! So happy to hear about your flock!! Please update if you are brooding chicks and how it turns out! Love pics!!! You can do anything on BYC!!! Any question you ask the BYC members always answer it!! This is where I learned all of my information too!!! Hope you love this site, can be very ADDICTING!!!

Welcome. A lot has changed in back yard chicken keeping since when I started as a kid, and later flocks I had in the mid 70's/early 80's! topics you might want to do some thread searches on: Deep litter management in coop and run, fermented feed, and Mama heating pad cave brooding.

That is so true! On DLM, I actually had no idea there was any OTHER way to do it. (I also didn't know eggs came in white until I started school. :) We ferment and eat a lot of probiotics in our family. I can't say I would have thought about fermenting feed without reading at BYC - great tip, thank you! I'm off to check out heating pad caves. Have you tried that method?

Welcome to BYC! My kids and grandkids live in Portland area and we hope to move there, or within driving distance. I thought PDX only allows 3 chickens.....which is why my daughter only has 3. Is there a way to have more?
Good luck with your venture.....

There is definitely a way to have more than three hens! See here: https://multco.us/health/records-and-regulations/animal-codes It comes down to notifying the neighbors, having (what the city deems to be) appropriate housing and paying the $31 permit fee. Honestly, having bees is more restrictive than having a few more hens as far as the rules go. Here's the permit: https://multco.us/file/38366/download

Back
Top Bottom