Another what are we post ;) - all bantams - 3 more further down

GoneHomeGrown

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Ok, most of my bantams came from a mixed lot, so I had no idea what I was getting. They are from a feed store and therefore large hatchery birds. I know they are not the highest quality, but the girls are here for the job of being broodies for me later on. I want to try both incubating and letting my little girls hatch out for me. That said, I need some help verifying some of them to weed out the extra boys. They are all between 3 and 5 months old and I have 3 egg layers so far.

1. I know this guy is a roo and am pretty sure he is a Cochin.

2. Silky, but am not sure if hen or roo. I have not caught it crowing and the waddles are smaller than the silky that has shown himself to be a roo but are more prevelant than the third Silky, which seems to have none at all.

3. I think Japanese. Though the pictures dont show it, this bird carries itself very much like the Japanese bantams in the breed photos. I initialy thought hen but am unsure lately.

Last edited:
The first one is a Light Brahma. The Silkie looks like a rooster, too. I think you're right that the last one is a Japanese and I think hen.

Thank you so far. I was trying to add these 3 when my computer stuck its tongue out at me and refused to go on.

4. This and the next are my favorites color wise and I have no idea on breeds for them. I intially thought hen on this one as well and have started to think otherwise.

5. I am pretty sure hen.

6. This last guy is Napolean an is the one staying for now as the flock roo. I am sure he is a Game, but which kind do you all think?

Wow, I can see Light Brahma now that you all have said it. The biggest difference that I see after looking at the 2 breeds is the comb. Is there anything else glaring at me different?

I agree with what was mentioned about the top three. As for the others
1) Porcelain D'Uncle hen
2) Easter Egger hen
3) Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam Rooster

Quote:
X2

x3, except its D'Uccle, not D'Uncle
wink.png

Talking about the differences in the Brahmas and Cochins; Brahmas tend to stand up taller, they don't have as much profuse, fluffy feathering as the Cochins and less feathering on the legs.

Back
Top Bottom