Another Woodstove Question...

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
So, I received a free woodstove. It's pretty, but very dingy. Can I scrub this with a wire brush or will that hurt the cast iron? Also, I'd like to know what kind and where I can purchase paint for this. I was told by several people that's possible. Anyone know?

Here's a picture...
2916603163_f75398be91.jpg

Soft fiber wire brush and that paint is called Rustoleum. It reduces rust in the future, however, doesn't stop it. That is a beuatiful piece!!!!!! How luck are you!

Remember to dry it completely before painting - use a blow dryer and soft clothes to remove all rust.

Ditto on the soft wire brush. I would confirm with a professional (not me
smile.png
)but I am sure they make stove paint for that, I repainted the brass surfaces with BBQ paint made for high heat around my fireplace. I know they make the high heat paint in several colors, I used the matte black. What a beautiful stove, hope it works out for you!

Wow what a great looking wood stove, I am a professional painter by trade so I think I can help you. There is a product that has been out for several years now, and I have used it with great results. This product enables you to remove all rust so it never ever comes back and it is as easy as brushing it on. Just brush it on, it chemically changes the rust and turns the piece to black again, then you just paint over that, the rust will never return again and it is safe for all applications. this product comes in many names so check with your local paint store, they will have it in stock and it is very inepensive and you don't need much product or time.
Now to the paint I think BBQ paint is not good enough and will not last very long, I would suggest car engine block paint, you can buy it at any auto parts store in many colors, in a spray can. This paint has a higher tempiture threshold, and you can get it in several colors and it will last longer without discoloring.
Like i said I have used this before mainly because it is so fast and easy and last forever, trust me this is the way to go, this is how i earn my living this has served me very well, I hope know it will work for you.

AL

What a great looking stove!
Ditto on soft wire brush and rustoleum.
I think you are going to be glad you have this in the future, its a good idea.

Remember to let your homeowners insurance know that you are installing a woodburner. They also may want to send someone to inspect it (and your rates will undoubtedly go up)
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom