Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Hey! So ive already talked about pasty butt on my profile before but i figured pasty butt is just a really common thing that needs to be treated, so why not talk about it. (awnser of the day is a thing im doing daily to help with whatever i can in overall flock issues! This is #003)

Pasty butt ONLY happens in chicks, please note that. A similar thing can happen when older, called vent gleet, but more on that in another thread.
pasty butt can happen from stress, it clogs up their vent which is very very deadly (more so in young baby chicks then slightly older chicks, still deadly nonetheless) the good thing about this is the older the chick, the less dangerous it is (and easier in my opinion) it is to cure.
gently grab the chick and take a warm (NOT HOT, just barely over luke warm!) wash cloth thats gentle and silky. Do a circular motion on the bum Till it wipes off. Being sure to be gentle. Do NOT pull it, that will pull their skin/feathers! I ask you to do this gently, because if you make it very stressful, it will happen again, then a complete cicle. Best of luck! :hugs The reason this is so deadly is because it clogs up their vent, so they cant poop! Make sure to dry their bum after and watch them carefully! (Dont feed them during the cleaning period, it just makes it harder if they poop)

My journey with pasty-butt last spring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/persistent-pasty-butt-in-week-old-chick.1471008/

I used a paper towel instead of washcloth and found that it sometimes helped to get the area damp, put the chick in question back into containment, and work on other chicks while the problem mess softened up.

I also had to sometimes use my fingernails to gently pinch off the semi-solid mass -- being excruciatingly careful to not pull the down out or injure the little one's irritated vent.

My journey with pasty-butt last spring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/persistent-pasty-butt-in-week-old-chick.1471008/

I used a paper towel instead of washcloth and found that it sometimes helped to get the area damp, put the chick in question back into containment, and work on other chicks while the problem mess softened up.

I also had to sometimes use my fingernails to gently pinch off the semi-solid mass -- being excruciatingly careful to not pull the down out or injure the little one's irritated vent.
Yes, i just find myself just using a very soft cloth, because our paper towels here are very rough. :)

I'd like to add that sometimes it *is* necessary to EXTREMELY CAREFULLY trim the poopy feathers away. Keep blood stop powder or cornstarch nearby while you do it just in case. Best to have someone else with steady hands hold the chick while you cut.

ETA: I've also found it more helpful in some cases to hold the chick's rear under gentle running lukewarm water in the sink to rinse it. The gentle flowing really helps to get the poop off, and you just give their booties a quick hit with a blow dryer and stick them under the heat afterward.

I'd like to add that sometimes it *is* necessary to EXTREMELY CAREFULLY trim the poopy feathers away. Keep blood stop powder or cornstarch nearby while you do it just in case. Best to have someone else with steady hands hold the chick while you cut.
Yes! It is, styptic powder works good just in case. i always get nervous with that kind of thing 😬 so delicate!

ETA: I've also found it more helpful in some cases to hold the chick's rear under gentle running lukewarm water in the sink to rinse it. The gentle flowing really helps to get the poop off, and you just give their booties a quick hit with a blow dryer and stick them under the heat afterward.

I didn't use running water because I don't own a blowdryer, but I made sure to do the treatment during the hottest part of the afternoon (which is pretty hot in May in central NC).

I didn't use running water because I don't own a blowdryer, but I made sure to do the treatment during the hottest part of the afternoon (which is pretty hot in May in central NC).
Yes, i usually pat the bum dry afterwards, and do it in mid-warm to hot areas! We dont own a blowdryer either 😂

Back
Top Bottom