Answer to the Delaware Dilemma

My 25 Heritage Delaware chicks should be here today or tomorrow!!!!!
celebrate.gif
Need some PICs over here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/249618/show-off-your-delawares-pic-heavy/12320

So heres a question, ow do we get a copy of this published book or paper with detail about this?
Marble and Jeffrey, Commercial Poultry Production, 1955

I haven't read this entire thread yet, so maybe I'm being redundant.

Here is a link the an online version of this book: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924002992968;view=1up;seq=7

Jump to page 54 for the write-up on Delawares. There are mentions of various crosses of the Delaware breed elsewhere in the book, but they don't seem terribly relevant to this thread.

Here it is retyped, because I'm nice like that:

P 54

Delaware. The Delaware was first developed in 1940 from off-colored sports which occurred in a cross between Barred Plymouth Rock males and New Hampshire females. These sports lacked the inherited factor for the extensions of black pigment to all parts of the plumage, which would normally have been transmitted to the progeny by the Barred Plymouth Rock male. The result was a bird that was largely white but carried a slight indication of barring in the hackle, primaries, secondaries, and tail.

Many people might mistake the plumage pattern of the Delaware for that of the Columbian variety of Plymouth Rocks, but close examination will differentiate the two patterns. In the Columbian pattern the main tail feathers are black and the white and black in the wing feathers are distinctly separated; in the Delaware, on the other hand, the white and black in both the tail and wing feathers tend to form a barring pattern. The undercolor of the Columbian pattern is a light bluish slate, whereas the Delaware carries a white undercolor.

The Delaware is classified as a dual-purpose breed but to date has made its reputation on its meat qualities rather than on its egg-producing qualities. Delaware males mated with New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red females produce chicks carrying the delaware feather pattern. When the Delaware females are mated with New Hampshires or Rhode Island Reds, sex-linked chicks are produced, thus giving males with the Delaware pattern and solid red females.

Edited: Now I see this was answered several pages back. Oopsies! Click the arrow thingy here to see where ... Originally Posted by kathyinmo

Last edited:
In my continuing quest for Del info I have finished this thread- I will move on to the next one.
From what I have read the Kimnim line is going to be in high demand. Just my novice opinion .

Thats a lot of reading. I did the same thing.

Done!
woot.gif

Now onto the SDWD thread to find the early scoop on Kathy's line (which I'm working with in the F4/F5 stage) ... 1721 pages
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom