Ant poison options

We have fire ants here. The only way I heard of getting rid of them, other than using poisons is boiling water, fire, baking soda, borax, or take a mound of dirt from one nest and throw them on the other. Suppsed to incite ants to kill the intruders. Throwing them in the pond would only get them wet, they make an ant raft. I hate, hate hate fire ants. I have found newly hatched goslings stung to death by them.
That gives me more options. Thank you.

It seems like we get a new species of ant every decade or so. No fire ants yet but they are on other islands so it is just a matter time. The white-footed ants invading now don't bite but they are on every piece of foliage and in every room. The worst is when they get into storage stuff and all the supposedly-closed boxes are swarming with them.
It seems like we get a new dominant species of ant every decade or so. No fire ants yet but they are on other islands so it is just a matter time. The white-footed ants invading now don't bite but they are on every piece of foliage and in every room. The worst is when they get into storage stuff and all the supposedly-closed boxes are swarming with them.
That doesn’t sound good at all.

I use gallons boiling hot water on the mounds inside the fence. Then 7 on the ones that are outside the fence. Far side of the property were no birds ever go bait.

I use gallons boiling hot water on the mounds inside the fence. Then 7 on the ones that are outside the fence. Far side of the property were no birds ever go bait.
Yes I was going to try the boiling water too. There are so many. Not sure how I’m going to manage this. But I will figure it out. I’m curious to see how that works.

Hi, all!
I was curious to see if anyone had any success with ridding ants where waterfowl free range. I always have a problem with ant mounds in the yard and now that I let my ducks and geese free range, I’m not sure what to use that would work and be safe. I’ve tried the diatomaceous earth powder and I’m not impressed with it. There are still ants and I find new small mounds next to it. If I didn’t have so many I’d just let it be but it’s getting annoying to where I have to watch where I walk. Anyone have recommendations on what works for them with waterfowl free-ranging?
Hi, i haven't tried this myself but i saw something on UTube about pouring boiling water down the ant hole from like a tea kettle.

Sounded and appeared to be a non toxic way to go???

Good luck!

Sevin is the poison I use. Works like a charm. For years sevin was the go to dust for chicken mites and lice. I used it. Lice were gone, chickens were fine.
Please, haters, keep it inside:hmm

Sevin is the poison I use. Works like a charm. For years sevin was the go to dust for chicken mites and lice. I used it. Lice were gone, chickens were fine.
Please, haters, keep it inside:hmm
Ok-I’m going to try the boiling water where I know my flock go for sure but will keep sevin dust in mind for outer ranges. Mounds are getting out of control for some reason so y’all are giving me plenty of options! If your chickens were fine, the sevin dust would be ok for ducks and geese I’m guessing?

If you are not sure, let one sting you. You will have no doubt. They are called fire ants for a good reason and it is not their color.
Harvester Ants are almost as nasty and my property I bought was pledged with them. It took me a few years but I finally got them under control with boiling water. Still remember the 3-4 day bite of no sleep from the stinging pain. I bet fire ants feal the same way

Back
Top Bottom