Ant poison options

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi, all!
I was curious to see if anyone had any success with ridding ants where waterfowl free range. I always have a problem with ant mounds in the yard and now that I let my ducks and geese free range, I’m not sure what to use that would work and be safe. I’ve tried the diatomaceous earth powder and I’m not impressed with it. There are still ants and I find new small mounds next to it. If I didn’t have so many I’d just let it be but it’s getting annoying to where I have to watch where I walk. Anyone have recommendations on what works for them with waterfowl free-ranging?

Sorry that it hasn’t worked, but be careful with diatomaceous earth. It can be bad for fowl to breathe it in. On a side note, I remember I had an ant problem. I’ll look into how I got rid of it.

Sorry that it hasn’t worked, but be careful with diatomaceous earth. It can be bad for fowl to breathe it in. On a side note, I remember I had an ant problem. I’ll look into how I got rid of it.
ok sounds great-thanks! Fortunately I only have it on couple of small spots in flower bed so I may go splatter it with dirt. You’re right about the powder. I was concerned about that as well.

Quick question- Do you know where the ant nest is? And I would also avoid using ant-killing chemicals around the chickens.
Not sure what that is. There are a bunch of big pile mounds. I have ducks and geese, no chickens. I’m not putting any poison down for that reason. It’s why I’m asking what y’all do for this that it’s safe for the birds.

I like to run the hose over the anthill and then flood it so my geese can annihilate the nest while they play in the mud. Sometimes they build it back. If that happens I take a spade and dig it out and throw it in the pond

I like to run the hose over the anthill and then flood it so my geese can annihilate the nest while they play in the mud. Sometimes they build it back. If that happens I take a spade and dig it out and throw it in the pond
Ok that sounds doable for some of the mounds.
I don’t have a pond so not sure how to go around that part. I am willing to try your suggestion since it’s getting out of control. Thank you.

What kind of ants? Where are you? Sounds like fire ants. Fire ants can kill small animals.

Use ant bait to threat the immediate area around the mound. Once ants carry the bait underground the fowl will not be able to get to it. You only need to keep them off it with a piece of wire for a few days. The baits that are ant growth inhibitors are not very toxic to other animals anyway.
Hi
I looked up on what kind I think they are but will have to look at the ant again. I’m guessing they are fire ants by the way one author described the mound. I’m in central Texas. I have cats and dogs as well as my small flock of ducks and geese so I’m concerned about how to poison these antbeds. The weather has been odd. Chilly and hot. The quantity of beds is getting ridiculous so I really need to do something. When you say bait, what do you mean?

Ok that sounds doable for some of the mounds.
I don’t have a pond so not sure how to go around that part. I am willing to try your suggestion since it’s getting out of control. Thank you.
If it’s fire ants then definitely do not let your animals near. I’ve had dogs that have had terrible experiences with those ants, I’d imagine fowl would fare no better. You could burn them as well. If poison is the only option then you could try Amdro or some other similar product. I lived in GA for five years and after every rain the fire ants would mound up in the yard. Amdro kills them, but you need to be aware that it’s poison and you should stake a peremiter fence around it to keep your livestock out of it once poison is applied.

If it’s fire ants then definitely do not let your animals near. I’ve had dogs that have had terrible experiences with those ants, I’d imagine fowl would fare no better. You could burn them as well. If poison is the only option then you could try Amdro or some other similar product. I lived in GA for five years and after every rain the fire ants would mound up in the yard. Amdro kills them, but you need to be aware that it’s poison and you should stake a peremiter fence around it to keep your livestock out of it once poison is applied.
Ok thank you-will look into that as well. I took picture of a mound. Don’t know if it helps. This is popping up all over yard and the ants are really tiny.

Attachments

• 4D0BB1AE-70D0-47E4-ACD4-7A51195D5E67.jpeg
    4D0BB1AE-70D0-47E4-ACD4-7A51195D5E67.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom