anti dig barrier and coop design

mllovey

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2018
What kind of dig barrier do yal recommend, and I still have laying box to install do I need to inclose the laying boxes or leave them open inside the coop.
IMG_3418.jpeg
IMG_3429.jpeg
IMG_3431.jpeg

I used 1x2 galvanized welded wire, 14 gauge, 24” high. Because of space limitations, I cut it down to 12”, and laid it flat on the ground around the outside of my run and then covered it with soil. I used 1 1/2” staples to secure it to the PT wood of the run. My “My Coop” page has pictures of that helps for more visualization.

For nest boxes, I have a wonderful roll out community nest box for my 8 girls to share - complete with privacy, etc. They choose to lay on the floor in the corner. Sigh. I’d stil give them some covered space, though. Doesn’t have to be fancy.

I used 2x4 welded wire, held down with landscape staples. No need to bury it, except for looks.

That’s a good point I forgot to mention. I also used landscape staples for the ground side to help keep it down. And you’re right, I just buried it for looks. My coop area is heavily shaded, so no grass will grow up to eventually hide the wire, so I used soil.

Back
Top Bottom