Anti-social rooster

dfleener

Hatching
Oct 27, 2015
We have adopted a rooster simply because he showed up in our yard and seems very friendly and socialized. Today however he seems to want to just stay inside his little house we put inside his pen. Is it normal or is this a sign of something bad?

We have adopted a rooster simply because he showed up in our yard and seems very friendly and socialized. Today however he seems to want to just stay inside his little house we put inside his pen. Is it normal or is this a sign of something bad?
welcome-byc.gif

Is he molting? Does he exhibit any health problems? Dues he have any company of the fairer sex to keep up his ego.

I'm not sure how to tell if he's molting and we're looking like crazy to get him a mate he's shown no signs of health problems and he eats allot.

I recently adopted a Silkie Roo. He came from a farm with 100+ birds. I went to get a standard size Roo from the same farm and she said I could have the Silkie for free. She felt bad for him as it seemed none of the girls liked him. I have some Polish in the brooder now that would be coop ready in a few weeks and thought he'd be a nice roo for them. Anyway, the standard roo has settled in nicely, the Silkie however seems anti-social. I let them out of the coop in the a.m. and he sometimes keeps near but never with any of the other 6. At dusk the others all know to go into the coop and all I have to do is shut the door. Not this guy though, I have to have 2 of my kids help me corner him so I can pick him up and carry him to the coop. This has happened for the last 5 days so far. He is gentle once I have him in my arms, doesn't try to fight or peck. I feel bad for him. Once I put him in the coop he turns his back to the rest or acts skiddish and outs his beak in the corner. He is just over a year old, I am just wondering if this has just become who he is after so much rejection from his original home? Anyone have an anti-social and have it change? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Maybe he's just happy to have a roof over his head. Give him time to settle in, many of mine hang out inside more than out.

Back
Top Bottom