Anti White Leghorn Bias?

Quote:
Did you know that off the top of you head?
th.gif

What would be a good cross with a leghorn to make brown egg super layer? Dreaming huh?

No, I couldn't remember ALL of those, LOL! Just about half of them or so. I checked a few websites real quick for the rest of them (there's probably a few rare breeds that I missed).

Hatchery Rhode Island Reds (aka Production Reds and Cherry Eggers) and Red Sexlinks (aka Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queens, Red Stars, ISA Brown, etc) are the best brown egg laying breeds. Any of these crossed with a White Leghorn would make an awesome brown egg layer. A friend of mine has a Rhode Island Red rooster in with White Leghorn hens. I'm tempted to hatch a few of her eggs for my flock and see how well they lay, cause I've never had Leghorns but hear a bunch of great things about their egg laying abilities!
smile.png

I can do that cross.
lol.png
I already have EE x Leghorns in the bator... she might have a new boyfriend next week
lau.gif

Moochie,

I'd love to see a picture of your leghorn cross. She sounds cute! I love Broody Girls. I hope some of my leghorn crosses will go broody.

Their StepMama is a Barred Rock, a breed not known to go broody often. But while I was on summer vacation her only companion, another BR who was Broody, suddenly died, cause unknown. This caused my hen to brood her dear sister's death, and while doing so, she suddenly turned broody, having never been broody before. It was so interesting. And then she hatched all these eggs that were not her own. She is a doll, and it doesn't seem to bother her that her chicks are not BR like her. She might be a bit partial to the tiny Silver-Laced Sebright Bantie who shares her coloring. :>)

Clare

Cowgirl,

Will you send me pics of your Leghorn/EE chicks? I'd love to see what they look like!

Quote:
Do you mean to ask DMRippy? I don't have any Leghorns or Leghorn crosses...
hu.gif

Lockdown is tomorrow. I will see what I can do.

This is the roo

92428_dsc03866.jpg

This is my first hatch from him, can't wait either
celebrate.gif

My problem now is I have about 4 doz eggs in the bator, 4 doz (didn't expect that many) to be set and another 1 1/2 coming....
he.gif
may have to sell most of these babies.
hit.gif

He is beautiful! He reminds me a bit of Good Guy, although Good Guy doesn't have that kind of a flashy tail. I think Good Guy, must indeed, be half white leghorn and half EE. Thanks so much for the picture! Those chicks are going to be darling!!!!

Back
Top Bottom