Anti White Leghorn Bias?

Thanks for the info on white egg layers. I am psyched she has silver spangled hamburgs.

Quote:
Ancona
Andalusian
Appenzeller Spitzhauben
California Grey (aka Production Black)
California White (hybrid)
Campine
Catalana
Crevecoeur
Cubalaya
Dorking
Fayoumi
Hamburg
Holland
Houdan
Jaerhon
La Fleche
Lakenvelder
Leghorn
Minorca
Polish
Redcap
Sicilian Buttercup
Sultan
Sumatra
White Faced Black Spanish

smile.png

Did you know that off the top of you head?
th.gif

What would be a good cross with a leghorn to make brown egg super layer? Dreaming huh?

They are quite flighty and not so good as "pet-birds". White birds in general are easier for predators to spot and target as tasty meals. I would consider them a "touch-me-not" kinda chicken. If you wanna socialize with your chickens, leghorns are probably not what you're looking for. For egg production and over all heathy, hardy breeds... leghorns rock.

Funny my leghorns are always under foot and greet me at the door. I have not seen the flightyness I thought I would.

Last edited:
My half-leghorn is so loving and sits on my head. I've never met such a sociable chicken before. LOL. Of course, I think he must be half Easter Egger or Araucana, and maybe that accounts for his high sociability?

I may be wrong about the adopter having SSH. I just Googled them, and now I'm thinking her birds may be SL Wyandottes, instead. Any other breeds of chickens that look similar to SL Wyandottes?

I think the heritage breeds are often overlooked as plain and old fashioned. They aren't considered "neat" or interesting and they are never the newest greatest hot trend or fad in the chicken world. I think the brown leghorn hens are gorgeous and the white roos just so stately and royal.

The post about white leghorns being easier for predators to spot is an interesting one. I hadn't thought of that, either.

I would also like to know what would be a great cross with a white leghorn to produce a brown super egg. Fascinating concept!

My half-white-leghorn Alpha Roo is super friendly. #2 in line half white leghorn roo isn't as friendly. #3 half white-leghorn roo, raised indoors by me, is super friendly. Probably has a lot to do with my raising him myself/taming him. The two half white-leghorn hens are both shy, but that may have more to do with being female than being half white leghorn?

I love Leghorns. They may not be a dual purpose bird, but they can't be beat when it comes to egg laying!

I have silver and red varieties right now. They aren't the layers the whites and browns are, but I will never be without some variety of them.

Their feed conversion ratio lets me afford some of the lazier breeds and still get plenty of eggs.
clap.gif

I buy 50 Leghorns every other year, and red sexlink on the off years. I personally love everything about leghorns. I have have no idea why people think they are flighty - mine are sweet and curious and always under foot. It's true they don't like being pick up but that okay because I don't need to cuddle with my chickens. Leg horns are incredibly economical eaters, lay huge white eggs, are non broody, incredible layers and extremely healthy. I never have any problems with them. I've also noticed they don't seem to get lice. I think they are small enough that self preening is easy for them and they tend to keep themselves lice and mite free. I just love leghorns and am glad you started this thread because I think they have an un-jus reputation.

I currently have 2 "orders" for hatching white leghorns and a few brown ones. I offer my hatching service at no charge locally as long as the customer supplies the eggs. I LOVE to hatch and this way I can hatch responsibly. The leghorns are still quite sought after in this small rural town where livestock can be pretty but MUST be functional and useful.

Back
Top Bottom