Anti White Leghorn Bias?

I love my white leghorn. She's sweet and talkative and follows me around. She's a great layer and forages most her food. I got her for eggs for us. If I was selling eggs her and my other white layer's egg's probably wouldn't sell as well, everyone wants brown eggs. She was also a pain when she was younger. I sold her sister, and wanted to sell her too but kept one cause hubby think's they are pretty.
roll.png
She kept flying over the fence, no matter how I clipped her wings. She had to stay in a little covered run with her EE buddy who would follow her into trouble while everyone else got let into the big run. She'd run and act like you were killing her if you needed to pick her up for some reason. Once she started laying she had a complete personality change and has been easy ever since.

Julie,

I think your hubby is right. They are pretty!

I wish I knew what the adopter's other breeds are. I could take pictures and post. She's going to breed them individually and keep close tabs, so it will be fun to see what my grandchicks look like! I can't wait!

Clare

Quote:
I remember that one! And I think that's why we like the brown eggs out here - "local" hens. The only time I really see white eggs is Easter...

Kids say the cutest things!

When my Merry Easter died while I was away on vacation this summer, I couldn't eat any of the eggs that had laid by her, when I came home. They are still in my fridge, as souvenirs. She had laid a few strange ones during the summer, and I kept those, too, even though they were edible. They are precious to me, all I have left of her...

Quote:
My first chicken adventure was 100 leghorn cockerels. I ended up with about a dozen 'mistakes' so I had eggs as well as fryers.
This time I wanted duel purpose chickens so leg horns were out. I am expecting about 4 leg horns from my BIL soon. He wants to get rid of his last few chickens until spring when I gets chicks again.

My leghorn is the ONLY hen more than a year old that laid eggs this winter.
And the white ones do have an anti-predator advantage in the snow (although I agree they really stand out in the summer).

My leghorns are my nicest chickens and my best layers - they are 20 months old and haven't even molted yet, still getting almost an egg a day from each. They never fly anywhere - maybe they are too fat (for a leghorn)..
tongue.png
They can walk really fast when they see the garage opening (so they can raid the cat's food
tongue.png
)..

Back
Top Bottom