Antibiotic restrictions January 1, 2017 (USA)

-cidal means it kills, -stat means it inhibits growth and reproduction. So, a coccidiocidal drug kills coccidia. A coccidiostat, like amprolium, still requires a competent immune system to attack the organism to rid it from the body...but it is held in check until that can be accomplished. "Stats" are used more often than "cides" because they tend to have less side effects and a larger margin for dosing error as a whole.

Lasalocid is a lot less safe than amprolium. Even though it's not covered by the regulation, I would be very hesitant to use it without veterinary oversight because it will kill your birds if it isn't used properly (as well as dogs/horses, as previously mentioned).

There is proper balance to using antibiotics. It should be limited. I used them one time in 9 years of chicken keeping, and because the hen would have died without it.

There was no veterinarian that would see my hen, and it was a fish antibiotic. Is that considered abuse because I did what was needed to save her?

Last edited:
I am anxious to know how people have responded to the rule changes as of 1/1. I have a hen with an upper respiratory infection that is being treated with the last of the antibiotics I had on hand. Going forward, what are the alternatives for treatment for similar issues (I have penicillin for wound treatment)? Taking a chicken to a vet isn't practical for me (and I resent a rule that punishes backyard chicken keepers..I'm able to treat my own animals as I see fit when I know how to handle it)

Only certain antibiotics in certain forms require prescriptions. The cynical part of me would point out that it is the cheapest forms that are removed from the market, leaving their more expensive forms still on the shelves.

An example for respiratory infections is Tylan (Tylosin). It is still readily available at TSC in the injectable form, but the powder you add to water is no longer available (without a script). You could give injections, supposedly that is a more effective treatment anyway, or just give them 2x the dose orally.

Go search the TSC site for "oxytetracycline". There is still plenty of it available, just not the cheap $8 powder.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the information! I'm fairly comfortable doing injections, so that would be fine. I hadn't considered that, so thanks a bunch. I'll be sure to pick some up to have on hand in case of a crisis down the road.

Back
Top Bottom